Man, do I feel old! Stiffer than the Lord ever intended for me to be!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Many here know I recently bought more tools do be able to do most of my own work and to maybe make a bit of money on the side. My best friend at my American Legion post has a Honda Civic si, 2.4 L engine and 6 speed manual trans. First red flag was the transverse engine. Anyway, he needed a clutch put in. Bear in mind I am 6'4" tall and 320 pounds and 67 years old. Two days late I finished it and the problem was solved. My body paid the price. Laying on my back on concrete was a PITA and my back. Getting up and down on that concrete and sliding around under the rig was absolutely "NO ******* FUN". By the time I got it all apart and changed out the flywheel and clutch disc and pressure plate and pilot bearing and the throwout bearing, my energy was zapped. Finished it up the next day. Both days, after we were done he took me out for my favorite, a 16 ounce sirloin steak, loaded baked potato and 2 20 ounce Blue Moon mugs of ice cold beer. Throw in a mini chef salad and I ate like a king. I did come to the realization that crawl around on that ground for such a long period of time is not something I want to do again. I am gonna be very picky about what I repair from now on. He also put $420 in my pocket. The guy is a certified Sous Chef and cooks like a dream. I have many meals ahead of me in thanks from him.

Keep in mind as you get older: You are freakin' older dammit, start acting like it!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
@PNW VietVet Some large pieces of cardboard make laying on the ground so much better. I always hated using a creeper so cardboard was my go to.
Good idea on the cardboard. Sometimes I put a moving blanket down, or on top of that--if I don't have to slide around too much. I've never had or used a creeper that cooperates. Friggin wheels have always sucked. Seems like your brain age doesn't match your body age--in my case anyway!

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have something like the "Magic Creeper" but it is not perfect. I also have a regular Pro-Lift creeper that also folds to a roll around stool. Came on great large poly wheels and rolls easily. I don't like to use a creeper unless I have to. I would be under a vehicle and trying to tighten a screw or bolt and the creeper will move me while tightening and just pisses me off. I will use a creeper if I have to but my stiffness is so much more related to the act of getting up and down all day. So like @Dantheman1540 said, I also never give up and finished it and yes, I do know what I was doing and the actual work knowledge was there, it is my physical size that cost me. That would have been a 1 day job with a lift involved and way easier on me.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You lay that thing down and climb on it outside the perimeter of the vehicle and by the time you roll 3-4 feet under that vehicle the thing gets too short and you are left with your ass on the creeper and your shoulders on the concrete. I am gonna get some cardboard but also am gonna price ANY job I may take on that requires going under the rig, accordingly. I did do an oil change while under there for my friend but I don't even take on oil changes here. My friend took the old oil and filter and will dispose of them.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles did it have? Honda clutches usually last a while. I really wish they made something with that K2.4 in RWD I'd likely buy it if i fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts