Low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

ntymd8r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pull thennnnn sending unit and check the screen (clean or replace it) Re-install then stick a mechanical oil gauge on it then fire it up to view the reading. Should only need to run it for a few seconds or so.

That would confirm/deny you actually have low OP or no
Pull the sending unit and check the screen (clean or replace it) Re-install then stick a mechanical oil gauge on it then fire it up to view the reading. Should only need to run it for a few seconds or so.

That would confirm/deny you actually have low OP or no
Pull the pressure sender and clean that little orifice out. The smallest particle of gunk can get in there and mess up the readings.

Then I'd remove the oil filter, and blow compressed air or brake cleaner down the pressure sender threaded hole. It goes straight down to the filter, so pressurizing that passage will help blow out the accumulated gunk.

Install cleaned pressure sender without the screen, add new filter and oil, and start engine to see what it says. If it's good, replace new screen & sender, and start up to check for pressure.

You could also thread a pressure gauge into the sender threads, and actually test the issue.
That sounds like a plan. I’ll update when I figure out what the issue was. Thanks!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
N

ntymd8r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update.
Drained the oil. No gunk in it. Swirled it around like I was panning for gold and no metal of any kind…wheew!! Unscrewed the oil filter and no gunk there either. Cut it open and it looked to be in order, but it was rather heavy and the filtration pleats where rather hard. Maybe just anxious but it did feel heavier than normal. Don’t know if “maybe” the orange rubber anti-feed back seal had an issue. Seemed like it was not letting anything in or out….sealed up pretty good and very hard to push down through any of the holes, like when try to open a door but you could barely crack it open due to what feels like resistance. *sorry, just trying to explain it!*

Talked to a buddy who used to be a mechanic. Said these model years are prone to have oil pump failures. Gonna be safe on this one and change out the oil pump, water pump, thermostat and all the seals and gaskets for them. Also the oil pan gasket, pick-up tube o-ring and relief valve. Switching to a WIX, too. I’ll update again when I finish.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talked to a buddy who used to be a mechanic. Said these model years are prone to have oil pump failures.
Nope. First I've heard that. It's a dead-simple oil pump system. I would sooner suspect a stuck relief valve in the oil pan than a bad pump.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. First I've heard that. It's a dead-simple oil pump system. I would sooner suspect a stuck relief valve in the oil pan than a bad pump.

yeah, I'm pretty sure these pumps don't fail and if it did, you've have metal everywhere.

even a stuck bypass valve should build some pressure. to not see any is odd.

I still feel like is the oil pressure sensor. before you pull half truck apart I'd. check the oil pressure at the front of the block right after the pump. there's a test port right there. i believe it's a 16m threaded port, double check that but this cheap kit shows it has 16m size adapter.

if you don't have pressure there you know forsure something has gone wrong.

OP
OP
N

ntymd8r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My only issues of it just being the pressure sensor are:

The first time the pressure sensor went bad, there was a check engine light that said so and it ran fine till I replaced it. The oil pressure gauge was dead as a doornail.

This go around, no check engine light, a “low oil pressure, shut off engine” on the display, about 3 psi on the gauge and then the engine shut off itself (fail safe I reckon). So I’m feeling just replace everything….

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only issues of it just being the pressure sensor are:

The first time the pressure sensor went bad, there was a check engine light that said so and it ran fine till I replaced it. The oil pressure gauge was dead as a doornail.

This go around, no check engine light, a “low oil pressure, shut off engine” on the display, about 3 psi on the gauge and then the engine shut off itself (fail safe I reckon). So I’m feeling just replace everything….

I don't think these trucks have a level or temp sensor. I'm pretty sure they don't have a oil pressure shut down safety either. but I can't confirm that.

I depends on what fails with the sensor or its circuit. My bud's Tahoe had a failed sensor so it pegged the gauge either at 0 or 80, I don't remember which. AFM didn't engage and I don't recall if he had a code for it or not. His CEL stayed on for an EVAP issue. Engine ran fine.

A friend of his had a NNBS truck that wouldn't start and got one or two codes for the oil pressure and/or sensor. He replaced the sensor and it fired up and ran normally, displaying normal pressure on the gauge.

Maybe it's a dead short versus open circuit thing?

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas