Low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ntymd8r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Tahoe 5.3 liter with about 225,000 on the clock. I had no oil pressure on the gauge about 2 years ago along with a check engine light that said the oil pressure sender was bad. Replaced it along with a new screen and all was good.

A couple days ago I was backing out of my garage and the red oil light came on and began singing. The display red “Low Oil Pressure, Turn Off Engine.” No check engine light. Gauge only reads about 3 PSI. So I shut her down. I checked the oil and it was just below full. I am 4,000 miles into my religious 5,000 mile oil/filter changes. Later in the day I started her up again and the same thing happened. Let her sit over night and hoped it would have fixed itself. Started it and gave her a couple healthy revs, same condition happened several seconds later. Let her idle for about 30 seconds and then she shuttered and died. No abnormal noises at all.

Anyone ever experience this????

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: this issue cropped back up again about a year later. Looks like the issue is fixed!
The culprit is a screen that sits between the oil sensor and the oil flow.
It gets gunked up over time which in turn leads to false readings.

Here's a pic of the screen that was removed.
jRBfNnE.png
Whether or not you disabled v4 mode, permanently deleted the v4 mode valvetrain stuff, there's a screen that clogs over time.
At some point, it clogs enough to mess with the oil pressure sensor's reading.
Clean or replace that screen, and the oil pressure sensor as well.

If that doesn't fix it, there's an Oil Pump O-Ring Seal that splits.
The oil pan needs to come off, which is likely more of a pain in the arse for AWD or 4WD vehicles.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Tahoe 5.3 liter with about 225,000 on the clock. I had no oil pressure on the gauge about 2 years ago along with a check engine light that said the oil pressure sender was bad. Replaced it along with a new screen and all was good.

A couple days ago I was backing out of my garage and the red oil light came on and began singing. The display red “Low Oil Pressure, Turn Off Engine.” No check engine light. Gauge only reads about 3 PSI. So I shut her down. I checked the oil and it was just below full. I am 4,000 miles into my religious 5,000 mile oil/filter changes. Later in the day I started her up again and the same thing happened. Let her sit over night and hoped it would have fixed itself. Started it and gave her a couple healthy revs, same condition happened several seconds later. Let her idle for about 30 seconds and then she shuttered and died. No abnormal noises at all.

Anyone ever experience this????

Died and wouldn't restart?

The first step is to confirm you actually have low oil pressure and it's not an erroneous reading.

OP
OP
N

ntymd8r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I’ve read a bunch about the screen and sender unit. But I think that’s good. Also pondering the o-ring and oil pump. My added difference is the “shutter and engine self shut off”, which scared the heck out me. It will start again. Just self shuts off after a bit. I’m gonna try it again tomorrow to see what it does. I’ve read oil filter and oil could be culprit, too. Used GM Dexos from day one with AC Delco filters. This last go around I changed to a FRAM and Mobil 1 (Dexos approved) because of inflation. Used this in my 01 Camaro and never had an issue but could that be it??? I’ll update tomorrow with what I find in the filter.

OP
OP
N

ntymd8r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No check engine light this time. Only the red oil can light and the dinging. Then the shutter and shut down. Check engine light only came on when the oil pressure sender code came on a couple years ago.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No check engine light this time. Only the red oil can light and the dinging. Then the shutter and shut down. Check engine light only came on when the oil pressure sender code came on a couple years ago.

I was hoping for you that the sensor was faulty again and the PCM was shutting it down as a safety.

OP
OP
N

ntymd8r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did add oil to make sure and the dipstick confirmed I’m in the good, but to no fix. Still alarmed and shut down.

I was hoping it would too, but no check engine light like before, and the engine shut off by itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beat Ta hoes