Low Oil pressure still!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting on the idle hours. But I guess a lot of idle wears engines, any engine.

My 4.3 Vortec in my 99 Silverado NBS slowly started to drop oil pressure. I think I noticed after I did the intake manifold, which was in the winter. By summer my check gauges were coming on. I drained the oil at some point and saw like a faint layer of glitter, so I knew it was on its last legs.

At the time I didn't have money because I was in the middle of a large home renovation project, so I just dumped 50 weight oil and kept on trucking. Oil pressure increased another 2-3 psi to about 8 psi. I ran it another 8-10 k miles. It still ran fine, no knocking.

After I retired the engine I tore it down and all bearings had severe wear: main, rods and cam. Clearances were 5-6 thousands compared to about 1.5-2.0 thousands specification. Probably could have overhauled it, but a junkyard 5.3 was much cheaper and a good upgrade from the V6.

Not saying that's your case (hopefully not), but may want to think about your options if it is.
I commented about it before in other threads. I have 88k miles and roughly 9000hr on the 6.0 and that’s equivalent to like 3-400k driving miles. The oil doesn’t look to bad though, I should consider sending it into blackstone for a professional opinion.

In my mind Ive accepted that the engine is running on borrowed time. I’ll replace it when the time comes, just have to decide if I’m gonna go with a junkyard engine or reman

OP
OP
MalcDogg

MalcDogg

Reaction score
I took off the valve covers and I don’t have the updated valve covers
Order them today

The oil pressure starts between 20-40 then after driving for 30min it goes below 20 never gets to zero I do get a lot smoke from tail pipe on start up that’s it goes away after 5min engine is running fine but the low gets low after a few days have to add a quart or so

Attachments

• IMG_9245.jpeg
    IMG_9245.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9247.jpeg
    IMG_9247.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 2

Roger906

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This was gonna be my next comment. If the screen doesn’t fix issue, might have to chalk it up to worn internals.

I’m in the same boat with my (ly6) 6.0, has low miles but a TON of idling hours. Oil pressure hovers around 10psi. Replaced all of the above, has to be worn internally. However, I’ve had it close to 4 years and put 40k miles on it with this oil pressure.
If it doesn't have lifters ticking ( they get oil first) there isn't much advantage to rebuilding it right away.....run it!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 08 Tahoe 5.3L

Changed the Oil pressure sensor, Pick up tube, High volume oil pump installed and pressure relieve valve and still getting low pressure anyone got any info?

I did notice the pan was dirty I’m reading about the oil filter to use the AC Delco filter
you didn't install the gen4 (as seen in the "corvette" gen 5 engines) tahoe hybrid Variable oil pump that baby is putting out 45psi at idle hot and 60psi at 1800 rpm

Put some MotorKote in it... that stuff will run with water in the engine..(use oil though )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts