Yet another Yukon with engine tick and low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonDK

Reaction score
Hi. First post here. I’ve been searching and reading multiple threads about the issue, but thought I’d share the symptoms my Yukon is having.

Bought a 2008 GMC Yukon XL with the 6.2 engine with 111.000 miles on it. After a couple of weeks I got the ticking noise at start up and the oil pressure drops after a short drive.

Ticking is worst at cold start, after 10 min it will be less significant. However oil pressure starts at 40 psi (according to gauge) and after a short drive it will drop to 10-15 psi at idle.

Took it to the mechanic and he had it for a couple of days. Oil and filter was changed. He tried the different ‘miracle oils’ and the ticking became less pronounced, but still there. He gave me the bad news and said that I would need a new engine. Apparently the vehicle has been run on a LPG system at some point in time, which was not good for the engine. I trust the guy, so the search for a replacement engine is in progress (need it shipped to Europe so it might take some time though)

I’ve added videos of what the ticking sounds like and what the oil pressure is.

Hopefully when a replacement engine has been found and installed I can update with a success story.

Start

After a short drive

Have the following DTC (the check engine light is on)

P0420 catalyst syst

P1133 HO2S insufficient switching

P2270 O2 sensor signal stuck

Last edited:

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines a 5.3 but you better check all your exhaust manifold bolts before you get new motor . Mines missing 3 bolts on drivers side and sounds just like yours till it's warm . Mine drives and runs great otherwise at 205,000 miles . 2006 here.

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
Mines a 5.3 but you better check all your exhaust manifold bolts before you get new motor . Mines missing 3 bolts on drivers side and sounds just like yours till it's warm . Mine drives and runs great otherwise at 205,000 miles . 2006 here.

Thanks, I’ll have at look at the manifold bolts.

What is your oil pressure reading on the gauge?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Sounds like a stuck lifter to me, remove the valve covers and check the lifters for play. If the engine has used conventional oil the lifter is definitely stuck. It's hard to swallow that you need a new engine, these LS engine will go for 300k miles if you maintain them. Get another mechanic opinion, what kind of diagnostic testing did he do to determine the engine is bad? He must not know much about the LS engines.

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
Sounds like a stuck lifter to me, remove the valve covers and check the lifters for play. If the engine has used conventional oil the lifter is definitely stuck. It's hard to swallow that you need a new engine, these LS engine will go for 300k miles if you maintain them. Get another mechanic opinion, what kind of diagnostic testing did he do to determine the engine is bad? He must not know much about the LS engines.

Stuck lifter was also my original thought when I read other posts about this topic.

Yes I was really bumped when I was told that I would need a new engine (having just bought it).

Well he did check for metal shavings in the oil when that was changed, and there weren’t any. I do not know the full extent to which diagnostics was involved, however I don’t think the lifters was investigated. But can’t tell for sure.

I’m not mechanical inclined, so not sure I’ll be able to remove the valve cover and check for play. I’ll have a look at YouTube how difficult it looks and maybe I’ll give it a go. But I do appreciate your input, so thank you.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I agree with the folks here in that it is hard to believe that you engine is gone, if you hear a ticking sound, and that is the only known issue. My truck idles with 20+ psi when up to temperature, and has 45+ psi at rpm's over 1500.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably cheaper to have that fixed than paying to have a engine shipped, that can't possibly be cheap at all.
I would recomend a more in depth diagnostic like mentioned already
check around and see if there is place that has worked on american cars...

OP
OP
YukonDK

YukonDK

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I agree with the folks here in that it is hard to believe that you engine is gone, if you hear a ticking sound, and that is the only known issue. My truck idles with 20+ psi when up to temperature, and has 45+ psi at rpm's over 1500.
Thanks! I plan to participate and share the knowledge that I’ll obtain owning this vehicle.

I do appreciate all the input that I haven gotten already.

It has always been a dream of mine to own this vehicle, so I’m thrilled that I got the opportunity.

A few pics

Attachments

• IMG_7348.jpeg
    IMG_7348.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7203.jpeg
    IMG_7203.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7598.jpeg
    IMG_7598.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7595.jpeg