Low Oil pressure still!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
If it's not what has been already mentioned, it's most likely bearings, either rod, main or cam.
^ X2
Has this vehicle used synthetic oil or conventional oil its lifetime?
Conventional oil will plug up the oil passages if not change within the recommended oil changes.

Mfitz725

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it's not what has been already mentioned, it's most likely bearings, either rod, main or cam.

Was the oil pressure loss slow or all of the sudden it happened? You didn't see any glitter on the pan when you removed it or on the oil?
There was a very small amount of metal on the magnetic oil plug but that's all. Don't know about sudden or not (long story) just discovered it was low after replacing pressure switch as it was bad. When I got it it was not showing oil pressure at all due to the bad switch. (please forgive any mistakes as I'm just learning how to use this forum)

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try Mobil 1 5w-50 oil, readily available online, walmart, etc.
The second number (50) is an indication of the oils thickness/viscosity at "operating temperature" 100*C/212*F.
The first number (5) is an indication of the oils thickness/viscisity at 40*C/104*F.

Mfitz725

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Try Mobil 1 5w-50 oil, readily available online, walmart, etc.
The second number (50) is an indication of the oils thickness/viscosity at "operating temperature" 100*C/212*F.
The first number (5) is an indication of the oils thickness/viscisity at 40*C/104*F.
I'll give that a try. Also, I didn't change the sensor myself so I'm not sure is the filter got changed. I'm going to look into that as well.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a FYI. don't buy a acdelco sensor on Amazon. to many fakes to rule out a bad sensor even after replacing it. (I made this mistake twice) places like rock auto or the dealership still seem to be safe.

also it really helps to read the actual oil pressure from a scan tool. the gauges in these trucks are very general. while it might be low, it's honestly probably within gm specs with a known good sensor, clean screen, fresh old, I do like the thicker idea above and reading the actual pressure the ecm is seeing.

after that the next step is to check with a mechanical gauge. and then it's up to you where you go from there repair wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar