Lifter tick when cold? Berryman B12?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that the assorted 'mechanic-in-a-can' products seldom do you much actual good.

Does anyone else remember when 'lifter tick' was another way to spell 'small block chevy'?

joe
Always had that ‘tingy’ startup noise.... lmao

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics - thanx Don!. So - are the broken bolts left in the manifold? Would these same clamps work on a 5.3?

Last edited:
OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to update this thread and provide some closure.

I bought one of those clamps and put it on the front area of the manifold (where one of the broken bolts was, and where I felt the noise was coming from). The ticking was immediately gone on cold start - I've now verified it 5 times. I was mistaken to blame or even point a finger at LiquiMoly. Their snake-oil is not to blame.
1f601.png
I will continue using it since it is very cheap for me and seems to be a very high-quality oil.

Linderov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How long have you had it?

I did all the snake oil stuff you referred to... Including the kreen. My suggestion is throw in a quart of atf and drive it like you stole it.

Also, I know you say you're certain it's lifters..... But like you've been told before it certainly could be an exhaust manifold leak.

I hope this isn't your problem, but see if my story helps you. I have an '02 with 5.3 that developed a similar problem at about the same mileage or even sooner. The noise got gradually worse. Eventually, I noticed when under load (i.e., towing or fully jammed with college moving, etc) the tap became a knock. Dealer said the oil bypass had failed- closed- and starved the engine for oil, thus damaging a lifter. $3500 later, bypass and engine top rebuilt fixed it. Today, about 50k later all is still well. I shoulda probably sold it and told the new owner not to tow, but I like the truck, so there's that. I've also fixed about everything else on it since then inc fuel lines, brake lines, steering gear,, rust repairs and differentials etc so honestly the engine was just the beginning LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts