Lifter tick when cold? Berryman B12?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 5.3L Tahoe with 170k miles has developed a loud lifter tick when the engine is cold. Once warmed up it is totally gone. This has been going on the past few thousand miles, so it may be related to my oil (I had just switched to Lubri-Moly Molygen 5w30). I've run Kreen through the oil twice, so I'm not sure how much more cleaning there is to do with additivies. I did order some AutoRX as that has quite the following on BITOG and I will try that. My last option, before diving really deep, is to spray some Berryman B12 onto the lifters to see if that "frees" them up. Anyone does this before?

Thanks,
Cyrus

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 5.3L Tahoe with 170k miles has developed a loud lifter tick when the engine is cold. Once warmed up it is totally gone. This has been going on the past few thousand miles, so it may be related to my oil (I had just switched to Lubri-Moly Molygen 5w30). I've run Kreen through the oil twice, so I'm not sure how much more cleaning there is to do with additivies. I did order some AutoRX as that has quite the following on BITOG and I will try that. My last option, before diving really deep, is to spray some Berryman B12 onto the lifters to see if that "frees" them up. Anyone does this before?

Thanks,
Cyrus

Are you sure it’s not coming from a loose exhaust manifold? They can sound like a tick until they warm up and expand to close the gap.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
IMO, It isnt as much "free them up" As it is "pump them up". If it only does it when cold than you have a lifter/lifters that are bleeding down as the vehicle sits overnight. Completely normal for a lifter to do this as it wears internally and loses the ability to seal itself hydraulically. I would switch back to whatever oil you were using prior to the lubri-moly molygen snake oil and change the oil/filter at 500/1000/2000 and finally at 3000. No more "cleaners". Stay away from high viscosity oils, Next time you start cold, idle for 60 seconds to get oil on the lobes/followers and than increase rpm to maybe 1500 until the click stops. Just what id do? No more snake oil products of any kind, No disrespect to the believers!

OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I listened very carefully, and I am 99% sure it's the lifters and not the exhaust manifold.

The tick is pretty apparent until the truck warms up, at which point it dissapears. By "warms up" I mean at least a few minutes driving. Am I doing a lot of damage by driving it like this?

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
there isnt much else you can do, You could have the same result in the driveway if you duplicate the sustained driving rpm. The tick isnt good but as long as you take it easy until the "tick/excessive tolerance" between the lifter and top of the valve stem is corrected by the lifter "pumping up" you are fine. It may go away by switching back to your original oil. If it changes to a "bang" or gets more pronounced than it is time to tear it down and correct/replace the worn parts.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long have you had it?

I did all the snake oil stuff you referred to... Including the kreen. My suggestion is throw in a quart of atf and drive it like you stole it.

Also, I know you say you're certain it's lifters..... But like you've been told before it certainly could be an exhaust manifold leak.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a lifter ticking from the oil draining down from the engine sitting, then it should subside as soon as the oiling system is pressurized or soon after. If the ticking truly is related to "warming up", then I'd look more at a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, such as from the ubiquitous broken manifold bolt(s).

Next time you go to start it after it has been sitting and you'd expect it to tick, hold the accelerator to the floor and crank the engine until it stops cranking on its own, which should be 8-10 seconds. Let go of the key and wait about one minute, then repeat. Do this three or four times. On the fourth or fifth try, don't hold the pedal and just turn the key to start it as normal. Take note if the ticking is any different when it first fires up.

Also, drain the oil and additives and go back with a quality 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil and Fram Ultraguard (the gold one) or K&N filter. There are other good filters, but those two seem to have the best anti-drainback valves ("ADBV"), from my experience.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I listened very carefully, and I am 99% sure it's the lifters and not the exhaust manifold.

The tick is pretty apparent until the truck warms up, at which point it dissapears. By "warms up" I mean at least a few minutes driving. Am I doing a lot of damage by driving it like this?
Mine does the exact same thing. It's my leaky exhaust manifolds(broken bolts on each end). I put the bridge supports on the 3 problem area and its almost gone at startup.

OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well sometimes when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm still not sure where it's coming from, but I definitely have a broken bolt on either end.

Manifold 1.jpg Manifold 2.jpg

Is there any downside to just leaving them broken? I can deal with the ticking noise as long as my engine isn't going to grenade.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO harm.. if you can put up with the noise, it's just a noise
Drive On !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColonelAngus918