Keeping coolant and transmission temps under control when towing in the summer heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 11’ does not have the factory brake controller which is sad. Granted the one I have may be better, but it doesn’t talk to the vehicle like the on-board one does. This is especially useful with the new magnetic-ride.

Did you buy your 12’ new or used? Just wondering if the PO could have changed the motors.
I bought it used, but the trailer hitch had never been used, so I would be very surprised if there was any reason for them to upgrade the fan motors.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have the K5L rpo on my 2012, but I have the aux trans cooler, oil cooler, and power steering cooler. My fans are rimless 5 blade and have Bosch motors. I don't think they're 700w, but when on high they are loud and blow/suck a bunch of air. I mean you can't stand in front of it and have a conversation without yelling.
Same. And when I’m towing up a hill, and those fans kick in, the coolant temperature comes right down

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the K5L rpo on my 2012, but I have the aux trans cooler, oil cooler, and power steering cooler. My fans are rimless 5 blade and have Bosch motors. I don't think they're 700w, but when on high they are loud and blow/suck a bunch of air. I mean you can't stand in front of it and have a conversation without yelling.
Which makes sense when you take into consideration my post regarding less blades = more noise.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think either my HVAC control panel or the clutch on my AC compressor is going **** up. I ran a series of test/diagnostics early. There is an in consistency with the system.

Sometimes it will freeze you out and other times it's Luke warm at best. System and refrigerant were serviced the beginning of spring. Got to much **** going on.......gonna have my buddy who's owes a shop run a full diagnostic on it this week
Make sure your fins are clean, your cabin air filter is clean and the fins are clean, your PAG oil could be low, there could be an issue with a ground or wire in the harness, a relay could need cleaned/secured better, or one of the temp sensors could be going bad or have a faulty wire. All of these can cause the issue you described.

-How does the a/c clutch feel when you spin it. Free, any grinding?

-When was the stretch belt last replaced?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the numbers on the motor will be around one of these area's, it will say bosch nearest the bolt fin area and have a list of numbers under it
View attachment 345770
Sure, here you go. Those numbers on the side of the motor are super faint. So even with my best reading glasses, I can’t be certain that I got it right. Looks like 3137230016.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure your fins are clean, your cabin air filter is clean and the fins are clean, your PAG oil could be low, there could be an issue with a ground or wire in the harness, a relay could need cleaned/secured better, or one of the temp sensors could be going bad or have a faulty wire. All of these can cause the issue you described.

-How does the a/c clutch feel when you spin it. Free, any grinding?

-When was the stretch belt last replaced?
I think I have narrowed is down to either the clutch or the actual HVAC controls. I'm leaning in the control side. This morning when I turned off the AC button, it started blowing cold instead of warm ambient air. BUT at the same time the clutch is very clunky when it engages.

I converted from that dumb stretch belt to the early belt and tensioner set up

Reaction score
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods