Keeping coolant and transmission temps under control when towing in the summer heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it through! One thing that comes to mind is that I have no way to know that my 2012 doesn’t already have 700w fan motors even though it doesn’t list the K5L cooling package. It does have 5 bladed fans and it has the heavy duty towing package, as evidenced by the factory trailer brake controller, engine and transmission oil coolers and the power steering fluid cooler.
My 11’ does not have the factory brake controller which is sad. Granted the one I have may be better, but it doesn’t talk to the vehicle like the on-board one does. This is especially useful with the new magnetic-ride.

Did you buy your 12’ new or used? Just wondering if the PO could have changed the motors.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fair concern, for sure. However, the area above and below the bumper are isolated from each other by the thick plastic splash shield that runs from just below the radiator to the frame crossmember beneath the harmonic balancer.
Did you end up tucking your cooler inside the splash shield area or is it sitting below the shield? For some reason I thought you guys removed the shield entirely.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I misspoke earlier, my 2012 is actually five blade fans, and that’s what I ordered as well to go with the 700 W fan motor. There are no markings for part numbers on either the fan or the motor.

View attachment 345720
View attachment 345724
View attachment 345725
there are markings on the motor, the numbers are stamped in the metal on the deep side of the motor case near one of the 3 bolt tabs, you will have to hold it under some light and at angle to see it, and could I see a picture of the backside of the fan blade? the front looks like the same patent number but that doesn't really many anything as there can be variations

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the numbers on the motor will be around one of these area's, it will say bosch nearest the bolt fin area and have a list of numbers under it
motor3.JPG

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also the harness connector for the right motor has either a blotch of white paint on it or a nice painted white strip, my theory is the blotch of white painted one is 700w? just a theory based on photos I have looked at, could simply be they changed the way they marked them over time.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to laugh whenever I see the words “HD Aux Trans Cooler” in regards to a vehicle with the payload ours have/had.

Is yours a PPV? I don’t own one so I’m not sure what they have other than the Z71 and/or Z95. Mine is the Z55. Is their fan setup any different?
Yeah, that's not much of an auxiliary cooler that they put on there.
SSV 4wd
I mean, I have the k5l option. So I guess 700 watt 5 blade rimless fans. I don't know if one or both are 700 watt though.
I did have to trim the shroud a fair amount to get it to fit fairly flush with the Cold Case.

Apparently I *had*
ZW7 - PREMIUM RIDE SUSPENSION

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you end up tucking your cooler inside the splash shield area or is it sitting below the shield? For some reason I thought you guys removed the shield entirely.
Uuhhh, they typically have a splash shield there?
Must have been one of the things they removed on mine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not much of an auxiliary cooler that they put on there.
SSV 4wd
I mean, I have the k5l option. So I guess 700 watt 5 blade rimless fans. I don't know if one or both are 700 watt though.
I did have to trim the shroud a fair amount to get it to fit fairly flush with the Cold Case.

Apparently I *had*
ZW7 - PREMIUM RIDE SUSPENSION
the oem oil cooler, power steering cooler, radiator, are the same on all k5l optioned 1500's and ssv/ppv & some hummer's there is no difference at all
probably the same on the 2500's as well it's only when you get up into the diesels & 3500's+ that it changes to bigger beefier stuff.

Reaction score
I don't have the K5L rpo on my 2012, but I have the aux trans cooler, oil cooler, and power steering cooler. My fans are rimless 5 blade and have Bosch motors. I don't think they're 700w, but when on high they are loud and blow/suck a bunch of air. I mean you can't stand in front of it and have a conversation without yelling.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think either my HVAC control panel or the clutch on my AC compressor is going **** up. I ran a series of test/diagnostics early. There is an in consistency with the system.

Sometimes it will freeze you out and other times it's Luke warm at best. System and refrigerant were serviced the beginning of spring. Got to much **** going on.......gonna have my buddy who's owes a shop run a full diagnostic on it this week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts