Idle relearn / throttle body cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would disconnecting the battery for longer stretch of time help?

When I cleaned mine, I left it on. For some odd reason I was a little hesitant to remove, being electronic and all. It took a few days but, it finally cleared up and drove normal.

OP
OP
02esky0FKSGVN

02esky0FKSGVN

Reaction score
Also, there is a youtube video on have to clean it while still on the truck without having issues. I know it's too late now, but maybe it will help others.

basically put key in "on" position, put a brick or weight on gas pedal and that open the throttle. clean away.

I think all these videos on YouTube about the relearn process are all junk because it’s funny how it only works for them like they have the only cars it works for but hence we all have the problem and can’t fix it ... like I said mine relearned after a couple days with normal driving and getting on it every once in a while but give it a week and it’ll be good if not .... than dealership it is and now it’s their problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yugrus

Reaction score
I haven't watched video, but it is not about re-learning. It is about proper cleaning procedure, so re-learning is not required in the end.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't open it by hand, it is not different from a normal operation on car. The car wouldn't even know you did cleaning.

I'm saying we did move the plate by hand (because we didn't know any better) and suffered no ill effects afterwards. Throttle plate was 7-8% before and is now 3-5% after cleaning.

Years ago, when we disconnected the computer from the battery the motors of our Buicks would have to learn to idle again after we started them back up. It was neat to watch and listen to the motor rev up and idle back down and learn and the sound was killer with 2 chamber flowmasters and an open air filter. Took just a few minutes.

When we did our LS the relearn time was even less. I wonder if something else is amiss???

Last edited:

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This cannot be done if there are any DTCs.

Without Scan Tool - Learn Procedure
1. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
2. With a scan tool, monitor desired and actual RPM.
3. The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and Desired RPM should start to decrease.
4. Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.
5. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
6. After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal.
 If the engine idle speed has not been learned the vehicle will need to be driven at speeds above 70
km/h (44 mph) with several decelerations and extended idles.
7. After the drive cycle, the engine should be idling normally.
 If the engine idle speed has not been learned, turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds and repeat step
8. Once the engine speed has returned to normal, clear DTCs and return to the diagnostic that referred you
here.
So this is what I’m afraid of having to do on my 2014 @swathdiver

I know that proper procedure says to take off the negative and that resets the TPS and ECM I think. Which causes the idle to reset

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is what I’m afraid of having to do on my 2014 @swathdiver

I know that proper procedure says to take off the negative and that resets the TPS and ECM I think. Which causes the idle to reset
Disconnecting the battery does not reset the idle. Only the scan tool or a new ECM install does this. Just take it out and drive it above 44 mph, get out on the highway for 15 minutes or so. The worse it was, the longer it takes to relearn after cleaning.

This assumes you have no vacuum leaks.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnecting the battery does not reset the idle. Only the scan tool or a new ECM install does this. Just take it out and drive it above 44 mph, get out on the highway for 15 minutes or so. The worse it was, the longer it takes to relearn after cleaning.

This assumes you have no vacuum leaks.
Idk if I have vacuum leaks. Not able to do evap tests on the scanner. Says not available on my scanner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar