Throttle Body Upgrade ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a Throttle Body upgrade ? Benefits/Drawbacks ? I'm only considering because I may have to replace mine...replaced sensor, gasket, cleaned it fought with the idle relearn(started off with the 2500-3000k idle,seems to be fine now) & now its still throwing the same code...

Mine is a 5.3 if that matters.

If you can get an OEM/GM Genuine LS3 TB for the same price as a factory replacement LMG TB, then maybe you can try it. Personally, I wouldn't bother. If you want the same effect as a larger TB, just push the pedal further. That's how these larger TBs feel like they've added power- a 90mm throttle bore opened a given amount is gonna flow more air than a smaller throttle bore opened that same amount. So, you're just opening the throttle more for a given amount of pedal travel. You can get the same performance by just pressing the pedal more. Yes, there are lots of "buts" in this, but none worth calculating for unless you're building it up and need to eke out every drop of power at 6,000 RPM. Just because something is "different than original" or aftermarket doesn't mean it's an upgrade.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can get an OEM/GM Genuine LS3 TB for the same price as a factory replacement LMG TB, then maybe you can try it. Personally, I wouldn't bother. If you want the same effect as a larger TB, just push the pedal further. That's how these larger TBs feel like they've added power- a 90mm throttle bore opened a given amount is gonna flow more air than a smaller throttle bore opened that same amount. So, you're just opening the throttle more for a given amount of pedal travel. You can get the same performance by just pressing the pedal more. Yes, there are lots of "buts" in this, but none worth calculating for unless you're building it up and need to eke out every drop of power at 6,000 RPM. Just because something is "different than original" or aftermarket doesn't mean it's an upgrade.
for that matter a clean air filter can help as well

mikeseay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably cheapest bet would be a second hand TB off a vette off eBay or marketplace.
Fast TB are overpriced for the gains
Fella they call chuey 454 ports these stock TB and intakes for a decent price if you don’t want to do it yourself
Shouldn’t need any reprogramming atleast I diddnt have to with either of my 07s when I ported them out
Was the cost of the porting worth the results you got? Porting seems to have more effect in higher rpm ranges, could you tell much in the seat of your pants dyno?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Was the cost of the porting worth the results you got? Porting seems to have more effect in higher rpm ranges, could you tell much in the seat of your pants dyno?
I don’t know I ported my 243s and my intake inlet and TB all at the same time along with adding the cam and internals so with everything working together it definitely made a difference and it would turn up way easier and it was really pulling hard in the upper rpms vs before when all the torque was mainly down low

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar