Idle relearn / throttle body cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02esky0FKSGVN

Reaction score
I cleaned my TB on my 07 Tahoe ... I took it off completely and cleaned it out it back now it idled at 2k RPMs ... someone help it’s annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This cannot be done if there are any DTCs.

Without Scan Tool - Learn Procedure
1. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
2. With a scan tool, monitor desired and actual RPM.
3. The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and Desired RPM should start to decrease.
4. Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.
5. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
6. After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal.
 If the engine idle speed has not been learned the vehicle will need to be driven at speeds above 70
km/h (44 mph) with several decelerations and extended idles.
7. After the drive cycle, the engine should be idling normally.
 If the engine idle speed has not been learned, turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds and repeat step
8. Once the engine speed has returned to normal, clear DTCs and return to the diagnostic that referred you
here.

OP
OP
02esky0FKSGVN

02esky0FKSGVN

Reaction score
This cannot be done if there are any DTCs.

Without Scan Tool - Learn Procedure
1. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
2. With a scan tool, monitor desired and actual RPM.
3. The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and Desired RPM should start to decrease.
4. Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.
5. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
6. After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal.
 If the engine idle speed has not been learned the vehicle will need to be driven at speeds above 70
km/h (44 mph) with several decelerations and extended idles.
7. After the drive cycle, the engine should be idling normally.
 If the engine idle speed has not been learned, turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds and repeat step
8. Once the engine speed has returned to normal, clear DTCs and return to the diagnostic that referred you
here.

Thanks for that I’ve done that and still nothing ... I’ve also disconnected the battery overnight and nothing I’ve driven it all day and nothing but it has gone from high idle to when I start it it’s fine but when I give it a lil rev it shoots up to 2k and stays there

OP
OP
02esky0FKSGVN

02esky0FKSGVN

Reaction score
Are there any stored codes? Do you have a scan tool? The MAP sensor has to show greater than 5 kPa and the MAF greater than 2 g/s. Sure there's no vacuum leak and or torn gasket?

Gaskets good I took off and rechecked that earlier today and yea I have a scan tool and there are no stored codes only hose that was disconnected was the one to the left of the throttle body and it’s back to its place .. I’m gonna have to look into the MAP and MAF sensor readings

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates on this? I just did mine and I'm having the same issue. Mine revs at 2500 and just sits there. On top of that my check engine light came on and the remote start won't work now.

Last edited:

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, worst case, just keep driving and it gets better. For me, mine took much longer than 5 days but I seen the best or final improvement when I switched out my brake switch that stopped my cruise control from working. I would look into that if yours takes significantly longer than the average. When you sit in park and rev and the idle sticks at higher marks, you know your truck still has more learning to do....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts