Throttle Body Upgrade ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know the sizes of the different throttle bodies (like 80mm, 90mm, etc)?
Off hand by memory no, I had looked it up on one of the pickup truck forums a few years back but I think the 6.2l stock tb is like 77mm or something like that a ls7 stock tb is like 80mm it bolts right up to the intake and the harness is exactly the same, the difference shows up for the air housing. I upgraded mine because the stock tb on mine seemed to have a flat spot and it would sputter from time to time, changing the tb solved the issue and I figured the ls7 tb was made for performance so no reason not to use it! Didn't even need a relearn.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason for looking into a "performance" throttle body is the need to replace the stock one now.
So, I was just gonna upgrade that now while changing it out. Instead of going with OEM now and possibly upgrading later.
Dude, I'm so down with maintenance upgrades, especially when I can use an OE upgrade.
I'll honestly probably only go as far as Intake, exhaust and a tune of some sort.
So if I am understanding, its not worth it to go bigger on the throttle body, correct ?
The intake is also likely not worth it, pretty much for the same reasons that the larger throttle body also won't work on your engine (yet).
It just sounds a bit more kewl, but it won't make it any quicker.

The exhaust, on the other hand, is a restriction. If you select carefully, you will have released more performance!
(I wonder if the Escalade exhaust system would be an OE upgrade, for example?)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked into it a bit for my 18 silverado, a +10 hp gain for less than $1k is not a bad deal (larger intake+tb & cai)
the best part is it just bolts on
with supporting mods, heads, cam, cat back you can see more gains, just takes money lol

and yes the 6.2l stock exhaust is mostly 3.5" or more, the 5.3l is 2.5"

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty much any muffler shop can build you a cat back for much cheaper than a pre made brand name one.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason for looking into a "performance" throttle body is the need to replace the stock one now. So, I was just gonna upgrade that now while changing it out. Instead of going with OEM now and possibly upgrading later. I'll honestly probably only go as far as Intake, ehxaust and a tune of some sort... so if I am understanding, its not worth it to go bigger o the throttle body... correct ?
Use a stock TB ... Make sure it's the OE part. Delphi/AcDelco
You will gain absolutely Zero with a larger TB. The only time would benefit
would be with more displacement(stroker engine) or very large cam/heads combo
operating at higher rpm range.
Just get a new TB. do the relearn... Drive on
If you want better driveability and little more umph, then do a tune to
get the most out of what you have and better transmission parameters

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exhaust, on the other hand, is a restriction. If you select carefully, you will have released more performance!
(I wonder if the Escalade exhaust system would be an OE upgrade, for example?)

Everyone here, and BBP, told me that the exhaust by itself is not a restriction.....even after I got my tune.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason for looking into a "performance" throttle body is the need to replace the stock one now. So, I was just gonna upgrade that now while changing it out. Instead of going with OEM now and possibly upgrading later. I'll honestly probably only go as far as Intake, ehxaust and a tune of some sort... so if I am understanding, its not worth it to go bigger o the throttle body... correct ?
Your intake is fine, that's a waste of money.

Unless you get a new intake manifold, you're still going to have the same size opening behind the throttle body whether you use the one you have now, or a much larger one. An intake manifold is a few steps beyond what you want to do to make it worth it.

Cam, tune, and full exhaust are the $2k-$3k package for a bit more. For a new TB to be worth it, you need an intake with a larger opening. That's anywhere from $500-$1K+ more. It's worth doing if you can add another $1k on top of that first package, but not worth doing a TB alone.
pretty much any muffler shop can build you a cat back for much cheaper than a pre made brand name one.
Yeah, but good luck finding one that can actually weld well.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your intake is fine, that's a waste of money.

Unless you get a new intake manifold, you're still going to have the same size opening behind the throttle body whether you use the one you have now, or a much larger one. An intake manifold is a few steps beyond what you want to do to make it worth it.

Cam, tune, and full exhaust are the $2k-$3k package for a bit more. For a new TB to be worth it, you need an intake with a larger opening. That's anywhere from $500-$1K+ more. It's worth doing if you can add another $1k on top of that first package, but not worth doing a TB alone.

Yeah, but good luck finding one that can actually weld well.
the guys at the local shop by me have been there for 20+ years, welding all day long sooner or later you have to get better it. the exhaust they put on my 00 and my 03 are still intact. I wouldn't hesitat to have them weld anything for me... and they gave me a lifetime warranty.
I mean I guess if it's the local ghetto repair, maybe not so much

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so much negativety, you know some of us are poor and don't have 10k to drop on a upgrade all at once, but little by little it can happen even if it's small gains

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019