Throttle body cleaning for 2014 Tahoe LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to clean my own throttle body, I feel like it’s pretty easy to do. But I’ve seen some guy on YouTube with a third GEN Tahoe that had to use a computer to reset the RPMs at idle after cleaning it. Is this so?

And what’s your guys experience cleaning them?

I feel like I’m losing power, and I wanna fix a rough idle. I cleaned maf sensor and it seemed to help a little, but I wanna dig further. See if it I can gain more power.

No lights or anything, but I had a code for boost control and O2 sensor to months ago. I have not seen this code ever since. it only appeared once, just like all my other codes. It’s like it’s a glitch maybe?

I have an app called “FIXD” that uses an obd2 port to scan the car for codes. It’s Bluetooth and also shows live data. What data PIDs can I view to see if I’m losing power?

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it need to be cleaned? In all my years of vehicle ownership I've never had a throttle body cleaning ever make a difference, more likely to have an exhaust leak, intake leak, or clogging cat maybe

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it need to be cleaned? In all my years of vehicle ownership I've never had a throttle body cleaning ever make a difference, more likely to have an exhaust leak, intake leak, or clogging cat maybe
I do have a leak. Can’t find where. Stud is broken on driver side rear. And the tick from the leak comes from under left side.

Tick Seems to have nearly disappeared since it’s warmer out.

Can’t feel any air or see any soot where the stud is broken.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And in reference to the leak: I have a clamp but I cannot figure out how to get it on. It’s so cramped where the back of the manifold is and the firewall, there’s also a ground wire that goes to the frame to the engine it looks like and that’s where I need to install the manifold clamp. So I have to somehow get my big hands in there. Not sure the what way to approach it. And I have to unscrew the ground, install the clamp and then install the ground to the clamp somehow.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have cleaned and do clean mine about every 3-5 months for the last 20 years, never had to have one reset or relearned. BUT it can happen, just bad luck I guess
just don't "force" the butterly more than where it stops at, you can use one finger to hold it open and clean it with the other hand.
I also recomend using a couple bottles of injector cleaner every 2-3 months on a regular basis that will help.
if you have not been doing this or have no idea when it was last done, bought it used or whatever then either run fuel injector back to back for a few tank fulls or have a injector service done, some shops use a tool that connects to the fuel rail and runs the cleaner right into the injectors. cost is usually around $80 or so for the service
carbon build up in varying amounts can happen and cause poor idle or response it won't give you any more pony's by cleaning it, it's just maintenance
like already noted a clogged or bad cat can cause loss of mpg, perhaps some performance loss.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have cleaned and do clean mine about every 3-5 months for the last 20 years, never had to have one reset or relearned. BUT it can happen, just bad luck I guess
just don't "force" the butterly more than where it stops at, you can use one finger to hold it open and clean it with the other hand.
I also recomend using a couple bottles of injector cleaner every 2-3 months on a regular basis that will help.
if you have not been doing this or have no idea when it was last done, bought it used or whatever then either run fuel injector back to back for a few tank fulls or have a injector service done, some shops use a tool that connects to the fuel rail and runs the cleaner right into the injectors. cost is usually around $80 or so for the service
carbon build up in varying amounts can happen and cause poor idle or response it won't give you any more pony's by cleaning it, it's just maintenance
like already noted a clogged or bad cat can cause loss of mpg, perhaps some performance loss.
Any fuel additives you can get for fuel injectors to clean?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any fuel additives you can get for fuel injectors to clean?
Just run Chevron 93 and E85. Some will use bottles of Techron and I have even used those little bottles of Supertech fuel injection cleaner from Walmart, years ago.

Since my truck spends half the year on E85 and the other half burning Chevron's 93, they stay nice and clean.

There's no better cleaner than E85 IMO.

As for the throttle body, I take it off and clean it, the o-ring is re usable if not pinched. We use that little kit that does the MAF sensor and throttle body from CRC that Walmart sells.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just run Chevron 93 and E85. Some will use bottles of Techron and I have even used those little bottles of Supertech fuel injection cleaner from Walmart, years ago.

Since my truck spends half the year on E85 and the other half burning Chevron's 93, they stay nice and clean.

There's no better cleaner than E85 IMO.

As for the throttle body, I take it off and clean it, the o-ring is re usable if not pinched. We use that little kit that does the MAF sensor and throttle body from CRC that Walmart sells.
What’s chevron 93, and I’m torn between e85 or e87 there’s pros and cons to both. I run e87 currently after running e85 about a month or so. It is flex fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew