I installed E-fans on my 2001

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xav8r

Reaction score
Hey Guys ... I'm asking for a little help with this one ...

'01 Tahoe, BB tuned, new e-fans and LS1 harness through Justin ...

When I turn on my AC the passenger fan triggers on high, however it cycles from high to OFF 2 to 3 times a minutes. Does this sound normal, or like anyone elses install?

Also, I warmend the truck up and expected the drivers side fan to trigger on HIGH, however never did get it to turn on. Does anyone know what the trigger on temperature setting is for the Blue 42 pin wire? It is cold outside, and I never did get the temp gauge to read above 210, however I did expect to see the fan kick on high after a stable 190+ for 10-15 minutes.

Thanks in advance ...

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to know, I was always curious on when the computer kicked the fans on!! Thanks for sharing the info!

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I installed mine today and I used M8x1.25 thread bolts for the new fans. The old bolts didn't fit the relocated holes. Just a FYI for reference.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys ... I'm asking for a little help with this one ...

'01 Tahoe, BB tuned, new e-fans and LS1 harness through Justin ...

When I turn on my AC the passenger fan triggers on high, however it cycles from high to OFF 2 to 3 times a minutes. Does this sound normal, or like anyone elses install?

Also, I warmend the truck up and expected the drivers side fan to trigger on HIGH, however never did get it to turn on. Does anyone know what the trigger on temperature setting is for the Blue 42 pin wire? It is cold outside, and I never did get the temp gauge to read above 210, however I did expect to see the fan kick on high after a stable 190+ for 10-15 minutes.

Thanks in advance ...
Interesting...

Got my BB harness wired in professionally by a local 12V installer who knows well what he's doing. The triggers worked when checked manually against a ground, activated the fans on low and high.

Since I didn't have time to get a BB tune and they said the local event was not looking promising, I had a local guy tune the truck for $75.

I had wired the high-speed trigger to the A/C compressor using a relay to convert it from positive to negative so it would trigger properly. My fans also do what the poster above said, with them cycling on 2-3x per minute with the A/C compressor. I don't really know why my A/C compressor does this, but to my knowledge, it has always done it. Never does my compressor come on and stay on continually, at least not the I've noticed.

The plan was to simply unplug the relay from the compressor to the trigger wire when the tune was complete. However, after the tune, the fans do not work. At least, the computer is not controlling them. The guy showed me on the software where he has the fans enabled by setting them from 2 (no fan) to 0 (2 fans) and various settings, but even with a manual override command from the laptop, the fans will not engage.

So I plugged the relay back in so they would work with the A/C.

Just a frustrating process.

Xav8r

Reaction score
A little follow up info from Justin ...

Here are the conditions:

Pin 42 alone, both fans come on low,
A'/C alone, one fan comes on high
Pin 42 and A/C together, both fans come on high

Pin 42 should trigger at around 210 degrees and then back off at 199. And it is very common for the compressor to cycle that much unfortunately.
[/SIZE]

I still have not confirmed the drivers side fan is working by either reaching the ~210 temp or grounding out the pin. And I have not seeing the both fans on low, which I'm assuming means I've never reached the temperature threshold.

I am a little bummed to have the AC cycle the passenger fan from high to off so frequently as I can feel the drain on power resulting in increase throttle for the same speed (via either cruise control or foot pressue). Plus it just doesn't seem like the fans or the harness and relay will last long being turned on and off so frequently.

But so far I haven't seen anybody post that they've uninstalled the efans or gone back to a water pump mounted fan.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I got mine installed and I wired the LS1Fans/BB harness up to the 14v ac wire under the fuse panel. However when I turn the ac on none of the fans turn on. I am now troubleshooting the fans and harness to figure out how to activate the fans. I didnt reach 209 for the regular fan to turn on, so I couldn't verify that one either.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you were told otherwise from Justin, you should hook your 12v wire up to the little red jump box next to the engine bay fuse box, I also attached my grounds to the bracket that holds the jump box!!
As for the AC wire, where did you attach the trigger wire to? There should be a wire loom running vertically next to that red jumper box, that's where I was told to tap into the ac circuit. There were 3 wires in there that looked like they could be the wire I was suppose to find but all three did different things!! One had the fans on all the time, no matter if the ac was on at all. Then the next one didn't trigger the fan on at all, no matter what setting the ac was on, and the 3rd one that I found in that loom ended up being the correct one. Post a pic of where you tapped in for the AC wire if you don't mind and get a chance!

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

Check this link out and look at post #34, the last picture shows where I attached my grounds, tapped into the AC wire, and also if you look the right top of the red box, shows where my power wire is hooked up to as well!!

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9400&page=6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157