I installed E-fans on my 2001

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
The power wire is bolted to the red power block and the ground hooked to the power bracket. The #42 pin is inserted into the PCM and the A/C wire is connected to the power wire under the hood fuse panel as posted in Post # 1 of this thread. The green wire I connected provides a +14v when the truck is running and AC is on.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, sounds like you hooked up everything like I did but just with a different trigger wire! Not sure how the LS1 fans are, but i'd guess that each fan has 2 connectors per fan. So if that's the case, I'd unhook the fans from the harness and run a ground wire to one connector on the fan and another separate wire to the other connector to a 12v source (the battery would be perfect) to test each fan out. If the fan comes on, then it's something wrong with one of the connections and/or something wrong with the harness!

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Good idea as I will try a direct wire from each battery terminal to activate each fan. I will also trace the power wire to the relay and see if it gets power at the relay and where it outputs the voltage if any.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Got it figured out!! Both fans work as direct wired to battery. Checked all the wire leads and verified all had the correct voltage. When chasing the wires I discovered a bad relay or stuck relay. It was humming and would not close the switch to activate the ac fan on high. I tapped the relay and got it working. Also I grounded the Pin #42 and activated the temp driven fan. Hope this helps other people out. Also attached is a wiring schematic for the fans.
Truck_Fan_Wiring_3relay.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice man, glad you got it figured out!! Nice to see someone else that knows how to use a voltmeter!!

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fans are working when the A/C compressor kicks in, but due to a direct-wired trigger.

Did not work with the Black Bear harness and a local manual tune. Temp does not trigger, either.

I'm not sure how to fix it... <sigh>. Really don't want to pay a couple of hundred for a BB computer swap when I've already had the programming done and it may not change anything. I've got to figure something out... forgot and left the truck idling last night and when I got back in, the temp gauge was pegged! Dangit! I can't risk that happening again.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost got mine completely like I want it.

0411 controls the fan low speed for engine cooling of the 2005 efans, and the a/c wire with a relay turns them on high.
Only problem is if your fans are not already on low, when you hit the a/c button the fans go from zero to high and that was a huge volt drop because they suck so many amps on startup.....like 65+

So today I built a timer delay circuit inline with the hi fan relay. Any time the a/c is commanded on the low speed comes on, then 7 seconds later (adjustable) then the high speed comes on. This way the fans are already spinning on low and the voltage startup is much less when it goes to high. Over 40 mph the PCM tune shuts off everything.

All I need to do is finally make a permanent wiring harness for my jumper lead mess and draw up a wiring diagram.

Last edited:

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Just bought the dorman 620-653 heavier than the 54 model can't wait to through them in.
Picked them up from amazon for about 160.00 free two day shipping!

Herbert0053

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My fans are working when the A/C compressor kicks in, but due to a direct-wired trigger.

Did not work with the Black Bear harness and a local manual tune. Temp does not trigger, either.

I'm not sure how to fix it... <sigh>. Really don't want to pay a couple of hundred for a BB computer swap when I've already had the programming done and it may not change anything. I've got to figure something out... forgot and left the truck idling last night and when I got back in, the temp gauge was pegged! Dangit! I can't risk that happening again.

Same situation with me. I threw the mechical back in.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your local tuner is using EFI live to do his tuning, then he should be able to turn the pin on from his program, if he can't then he is an idiot!! Did the guy say that he turned that pin on when you had it programmed by him? If so, go back to him and have him check to make sure that's what he did, or else ask for some money back!!
Also make sure that you installed the pin fully into the harness or else that will keep it from working!! E fans are one of the best mods I've done to my truck, and if you tow much then it's even more important and awesome!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts