I installed E-fans on my 2001

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, spread the knowledge man. That's why I made this thread, to spread the knowledge with other members. :Handshake:

Tridaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
May I ask what electric fans do for your vehicle?

Why do some vehicles come from the factory with them and others do not?

Thanks

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
May I ask what electric fans do for your vehicle?

Why do some vehicles come from the factory with them and others do not?

Thanks

Significant improvement in throttle response, fuel economy, and power. Takes parasitic drag off the engine and puts it on the electrical system, which is more than capable of powering the fans especially with an overdrive pulley on the alternator (scoop a bigger alternator if you have a large stereo or at lease a better battery). I netted about 2mpg and 20hp from my efan swap, made a huge difference.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Significant improvement in throttle response, fuel economy, and power. Takes parasitic drag off the engine and puts it on the electrical system, which is more than capable of powering the fans especially with an overdrive pulley on the alternator (scoop a bigger alternator if you have a large stereo or at lease a better battery). I netted about 2mpg and 20hp from my efan swap, made a huge difference.

Not to mention faster warm up times, better cooling at idle, better A/C performance at idle or low speed, no roar when taking off when fan locked.
More room to work on engine or access belt, no missing fingers when engine running, less wear on water pump.
Best gains are in hot climates.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Doesn't the overdrive alternator pulley wear out the alternator faster? What is a bigger alternator upgrade?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the overdrive alternator pulley wear out the alternator faster? What is a bigger alternator upgrade?

Actually I think it may help.

Consider that when you are at idle in drive with your foot on the brake.....you are at your lowest engine speed. If you are drawing more than your alternator can put out, your voltage regulator is transitioning from normal operation to "wide open" to try to keep up. I would assume that after a while this would wreak havoc on it. That is of course if you have a big stereo or efans, etc.
The only problem could be if you are constantly at 5500 rpms.

Plus the faster it turns, the more cooling it produces, including idle.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question, I already have my dorman fans and am meeting Justin today for my tune. I have a Z71 hoe which has the larger alternator, do I or should I still get the alternator pulley with the BB harness?

Xav8r

Reaction score
Similar question for you guys that have done this. I have the 130A alt and am not sure if I need/want the "overdrive alternator pulley" from BBP? Can one of you please explain to me what this is, does, or why I would or wouldn't need it? Also if I do go this route, will this change which size accessory drive belt I will need?

Thanks

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar question for you guys that have done this. I have the 130A alt and am not sure if I need/want the "overdrive alternator pulley" from BBP? Can one of you please explain to me what this is, does, or why I would or wouldn't need it? Also if I do go this route, will this change which size accessory drive belt I will need?

Thanks

A smaller pulley will make the alternator spin faster. This means at idle it will be putting out more power/spinning faster than normal. This way if you have a large draw like fans, your lights wont be dim at night at idle and your gauge wont read 10-11 volts. Yes your belt will need to be slightly shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01