I installed E-fans on my 2001

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xav8r

Reaction score
A smaller pulley will make the alternator spin faster. This means at idle it will be putting out more power/spinning faster than normal. This way if you have a large draw like fans, your lights wont be dim at night at idle and your gauge wont read 10-11 volts. Yes your belt will need to be slightly shorter.

Thanks Marc. That's just what I was looking for. How did you go about figuring the proper size belt after your upgrade? Also, I'm not totally familiar with '99's but I note that you have a 140A alt, was that a significant upgrade from stock or was your original similar to my 130A and I need to step up to a 140A? FYI, my truck is not a state of the art AV showroom on wheels!

Thanks again.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Marc. That's just what I was looking for. How did you go about figuring the proper size belt after your upgrade? Also, I'm not totally familiar with '99's but I note that you have a 140A alt, was that a significant upgrade from stock or was your original similar to my 130A and I need to step up to a 140A? FYI, my truck is not a state of the art AV showroom on wheels!

Thanks again.

My original alternator was only 105 amps, and the whole case was different in shape and size than the 140. The belt size was shorter with stock alt and small pulley, but when I went to the bigger alt and put the small pulley on it, I could use the oem belt. :)

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Would these work
45733273-b0a1-81fe.jpg

45733273-b0aa-f8eb.jpg

07+ efans for v8 silverado so it says

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I got my 05+ cooling fans and my BlackBear harness. Problem is, it came with zero instructions.

I've got the power and ground wires and the Blue 42 and Green 33 wires.

I currently have a set of generic e-fans hooked up through the rad with zipties (hence I'm now replacing my rad at the same time). They are triggered by a temp probe in the radiator, and also by being tied into the A/C compressor.

I did not get a "tune" from BlackBear... can I make this work without a tune? At least for a little while? It's cold out, so I'm thinking I can get by for a few weeks without fans if I need to (heck, I went most of the summer without them, just had crappy A/C). I'm just wondering if I can hook that A/C wire to the Green 33 wire to get the fans to come on "high" and the Blue 42 wire will trigger them for low?

I'm just a bit confused, as BlackBear's site has zero instructions as to what's needed, just has an option for the tune or the harness, wasn't aware I needed BOTH, if I do. It's not a money thing, I don't mind the $55 for the tune, just that I have to replace my rad sooner than later and was hoping I could either hook things up to run sub-optimally (which ought to be fine in winter) or whatever for the moment.

Someone throw me a bone here?

Never had any communication from BlackBear about my order or shipping, and no instructions, either. Kinda disappointing, I guess.

Last edited:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tridiot, check this link out and go to post #34, hook up your main power wire inside the red juction box in the fifth picture and hook your grounds to the bracket bolt that holds the junction box!! http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9400&page=6

As for rigging up the fans to work on your truck without a tune, I wish I could help you there!! Maybe someone else will chime in on that!!

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it will not work without a tune. Not tying into the computer pins anyway. You could hook it up to the temp probe that you currently have, and hook the high speed wire to you AC wire.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So green is high-speed? And blue is low-speed? Is that how it works? If so, I COULD potentially hook the blue to my current temperature probe and the green to my A/C compressor. This ought to yield me somewhat normal operation for the short-term.

I just was hoping not to have to put that temp probe back in through the fins on my new radiator. This is already the 2nd replacement I've done...

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I could help you but haven't had to hook my up anyway other than the way it was meant to be hooked up and used!! I'm guessing that the green pin (A/C) is the passenger side fan and the blue pin is the drivers side fan and maybe when it really needs to cool down, the computer will get voltage to both pins which makes both fans kick on!! Just is just a guess though, hopefully someone else will chime in or else PM Jennabear since you have their harness, maybe they can tell you how to rig it up!! Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645