HELP-Check Engine Light Flashed 3 Times~~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the engine running right? if it's not running correctly it will do exactly what your describing

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think his engine idles fine. since it’s behind the driver seat couldn’t that be the electric motor? As mentioned never worked on one of these but they connect to the trans via a shaft I’m guessing. Could that be broken/stuck/etc? You’re right not to move it and make it worse though I wonder if you roll it in neutral do you hear anything?

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think his engine idles fine. since it’s behind the driver seat couldn’t that be the electric motor? As mentioned never worked on one of these but they connect to the trans via a shaft I’m guessing. Could that be broken/stuck/etc? You’re right not to move it and make it worse though I wonder if you roll it in neutral do you hear anything?

I want to say thanks to everybody for showing concern....I know I'm being a big baby about my truck...I just really like this hybrid that much....so the basics...the engine starts up just fine...sounds smooth...no ticking sounds...like I said previously...plenty of power even shifted like a brand new truck on all my trips!!!

I had to put it in neutral to get it on the tow truck....would NOT let the tow truck driver even try to drive up the ramp...I went to the M1 setting...like I said I always use D when driving in the city or highway....I started to take my foot off the brake and once again the violent noise of literally like a splined shaft was breaking every tooth off at once.....did not move forward at all...threw it in park and shut her down...I think your on to something with the electric motors having shafts that engage and disengage....dealer is going to charge me $139 for a full diagnosis...then I can see what I'm up against.I just need to finish taking the back rims off tonight.

the thing I cant get over is...literally you know that "new" car feeling every time you drive a well maintained vehicle...u know NO hesitation to drive across the country..this was that vehicle...the only real worry was not having a spare and trying to find a 28" tire on a whim.....Im blown away....or should I say pretty bummed out...I can always finance the repairs...just hate the idea of being presented with a huge bill that I didn't forsee....

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprise breakdown sucks for sure. We’ll be anxious to hear what they say. Something you might consider is if it’s a big repair you have to finance get anything else done that needs it

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the engine running right? if it's not running correctly it will do exactly what your describing

good morning...engine purrs like a kitten...in park...I can give it gas and hear everything sounds right...literally not anything noticeable..not even the usual "chevy tick" of lifters....I have reverse...no noticeable sounds although I only checked a few inches in reverse...trying not to do anymore damage than already has been done...its just put in drive and the worst sound/clacking I've ever heard..my guess at this point is somekind of shaft or splined part is destroyed.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprise breakdown sucks for sure. We’ll be anxious to hear what they say. Something you might consider is if it’s a big repair you have to finance get anything else done that needs it

wise words steven...ill update everything after I get it down to the dealer...if I don't pass out from repair cost shock
but thanks for the heads up....im going to try and get the longest warranty with the repairs so it doesn't sting as much...and yes inquire within reason of any other additional things while their in there

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wise words steven...ill update everything after I get it down to the dealer...if I don't pass out from repair cost shock
but thanks for the heads up....im going to try and get the longest warranty with the repairs so it doesn't sting as much...and yes inquire within reason of any other additional things while their in there
does it show it charging when in park.. on the screen? does it go into auto stop after a few min of running? having you tried driving in auto stop(EV)

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a scare tonight but I think it was because I shifted out park too fast(stalled out) I forgot about that.. (yes the car has to start before then it will fully start, you cant take it out of gear before the start sequence other wise it stalls out or drives crappy or noises.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a scare tonight but I think it was because I shifted out park too fast(stalled out) I forgot about that.. (yes the car has to start before then it will fully start, you cant take it out of gear before the start sequence other wise it stalls out or drives crappy or noises.

so an update..took truck to dealership Saturday...had to use a wheel loader so they wouldn't drag it up the flatbed...back wheels all locked up...they called me yesterday ..Monday...theyre telling me that the rear end differential is completely done...shot out...and in need of total replacement...new ring and pinion....bushings...everything inside the pumpkin....they are quoting me $700-$900 for parts and $1400-$1600 for labor...according to the service writer...it is 12 hour flag time for total tear down and rebuild....I think this is overpriced to say the least.So I asked a few questions before I authorize any work:

1.I want to replace the original 3.08 ring and pinion with a 3.73 ring and pinion- Can this be done with our Hybrids...keeping in mind the degenerative braking system where our batteries charge(reason- my wheel and tire combo is 33.81" tall...a little over 2" taller than stock wheel/tires)???

2.All the research and websites that Ive found say 5-8 hours flag time- from start to finish...total tear down and rebuild
why are they stating that it takes 12 hours labor for total tear down/rebuild???

3.will they calibrate the speedometer and transmission to the new gear ratio using theyre software or "tech2"'s??

4. they offered a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty for the rebuild services....what do you guys think??

5.Is there anything else I should have them do if I move forward with this rebuild while they have my truck service wise??

I know I could get this job done for less $$$....I am going to the dealership to try and negotiate with them today in regards to pricing....the facts are the truck is there and it needs repair....I just don't want to get soaked by the dealership...I am not confident enough in doing this repair myself...though I do know a little about rear end differential its lack of expeience actually putting them in....plus I get the guarantee and peace of mind if anything happens the work is warrantied and guaranteed!

all responses and comments are welcome and really appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts