HELP-Check Engine Light Flashed 3 Times~~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates after 5 days?

took it to get the scan at autozone...no stored codes...no current codes...however...went to take her out for my 4 hour round trip to see the kids...after 2 hours in..stopped for a bite came out to continue....noticed a clanking sound..thought it was suspension...maybe a cracked rotor...or a bad driveline u joint...had my son walk beside the truck trying to pinpoint clacking....went about a mile or so....and the whole truck more violent than ive ever heard or felt a vehicle shake...

stopped completely...remember no check engine light..checked transmission dipstick...bright red...no sparkly shavings...engine oil clean light honey brown????

put it in reverse...backed up fine....neutral...forward and backwards no noise...put it into drive and the violent shake and almost felt like the teeth on a shaft broke off or grinded metal to metal.....im really bummed out...had to have it towed 100 miles home....going to bring down to the dealership ..trying to make the apt now...I mean this truck was in really good shape when I purchased it...all the service records for 100K...IM thinkin its the drive pump shaft or shaft that goes into the transmission...but by no means am I an expert....this hybrid doesn't have a torque converter.....man im bummed out...any thoughts on what it might be??

no slipping or long shifts...no burnt smell or fluid....this is literally a failure I cant understand....let me know your thoughts???

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took it to get the scan at autozone...no stored codes...no current codes...however...went to take her out for my 4 hour round trip to see the kids...after 2 hours in..stopped for a bite came out to continue....noticed a clanking sound..thought it was suspension...maybe a cracked rotor...or a bad driveline u joint...had my son walk beside the truck trying to pinpoint clacking....went about a mile or so....and the whole truck more violent than ive ever heard or felt a vehicle shake...

stopped completely...remember no check engine light..checked transmission dipstick...bright red...no sparkly shavings...engine oil clean light honey brown????

put it in reverse...backed up fine....neutral...forward and backwards no noise...put it into drive and the violent shake and almost felt like the teeth on a shaft broke off or grinded metal to metal.....im really bummed out...had to have it towed 100 miles home....going to bring down to the dealership ..trying to make the apt now...I mean this truck was in really good shape when I purchased it...all the service records for 100K...IM thinkin its the drive pump shaft or shaft that goes into the transmission...but by no means am I an expert....this hybrid doesn't have a torque converter.....man im bummed out...any thoughts on what it might be??

no slipping or long shifts...no burnt smell or fluid....this is literally a failure I cant understand....let me know your thoughts???
transmission might be bad but those transmission Aux pumps are known to fail..it will prevent the clutch plates from working .correctly

also the engine I/O shafts(input/output shaft) are known to fail

is it fine in EV mode? =

those are the mostly likely things to fail on the transmission other wise they were well overbuilt. esp the CVT portion of the transmission

did it work correctly in M4?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
transmission might be bad but those transmission Aux pumps are known to fail..it will prevent the clutch plates from working .correctly

also the engine I/O shafts(input/output shaft) are known to fail

is it fine in EV mode? =

those are the mostly likely things to fail on the transmission other wise they were well overbuilt. esp the CVT portion of the transmission

did it work correctly in M4?

was doing 85 on the freeway for two hours straight...no issues..trans never went above 165 degrees...I always drive in D...but after the first sounds of clanking began it all happened within a mile I put it in drive and start to give gas...the worst sound Ive ever heard from a vehicle...literally sounds like gear teeth ripping each other apart...called triple A and had it towed

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That feeling sucks. Sorry you’re going through this. Curious to know if it does it in electric only too. On the Tahoe does the electric motor and gas engine drive the trans at the same time? And electric turns off at 30 mph? I have no idea man but can the electric shaft go bad? Maybe why engine oil and tranny fluid is ok? I’m just tossing stuff out. Hope you get it solved.

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this came to mind after i was reading some stuff
this actually happened to me I thought the transmission was blown ( SUV refused to move and made nasty noises if it started moving)

that happened back in may...

i forgot what i did to fix it...

I would have the 12v battery checked out if you have not done that yet
if it's over 4 years old or less then 70% capacity i would put another one it

the hybrid is more depended on the 12v+ battery then the normal one....

there is 6 failure points to the ground system...

the one connected to the engine to the chassis is probably bad like mine you can see how dirty it is

If i remember how i fixed it i'll let you know

20191118_114732.jpg 20191118_114931.jpg 20191118_115023.jpg

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you tell if the sound is at the rear end or up under your butt more?

I would say right behind the driver seat...loud...I think im going to take a video of the sound today...still prepping to tow to the dealership...removing wheels etc, from past experiences with dealerships theyre good at what they do...but love to blame it on aftermarket accessories such as wheels,lowering kits....sound systems...I actually tried to start trouble shooting yesterday after I removed the wheels....I always drive in D...went to M1 took my foot off the brake to see if it would coast in electric mode...the sound was so loud I shut it down as quick as I could...and no movement.

how could this happen...motor is really healthy...plenty of power....the transmission never even shifted hard...bright fluid no sparkly flakes of metal....many service records and only a 115K...when I talked to a guy at AMOCO TRANSMNISSIONS yesterday to see if they had experience with Yukon hybrids...and told him its a 4l60...immediately started talking about the input/output shafts and that they break all the time????........really bummed out on this!

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this came to mind after i was reading some stuff
this actually happened to me I thought the transmission was blown ( SUV refused to move and made nasty noises if it started moving)

that happened back in may...

i forgot what i did to fix it...

I would have the 12v battery checked out if you have not done that yet
if it's over 4 years old or less then 70% capacity i would put another one it

the hybrid is more depended on the 12v+ battery then the normal one....

there is 6 failure points to the ground system...

the one connected to the engine to the chassis is probably bad like mine you can see how dirty it is

If i remember how i fixed it i'll let you know

View attachment 234445 View attachment 234446 View attachment 234447

its a red top optima...diagnostics on dash read 14-15V....battery is a year old according to the receipts from the guy I purchased the truck from...I did just reinstall it after I upgraded the headlights this weekend to LED...had to remove the air raid system for one side...then the battery and take apart the grill and front fascia for the drivers side....im praying its not the shaft/transmission....this truck literally doesn't even have door dings...no rips or tears on the interior....looks like the little old lady from Pasadena use to own it...that's why I bought it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts