HELP-Check Engine Light Flashed 3 Times~~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the most expensive differential I’ve heard of. Call around for some quotes. The cost of towing will be easily saved in the repair bill.

I know your right...Im just concerned on these hybrid trucks they have degenerative braking which is controlled br braking and in turn charges the batteries...which has a lot to do with gearing...I am going to the dealership today and see if they will negotiate...I really need the guarantee/warranty/peace of mind and am willing to pay a little extra for it....but not twice the amount the repair should cost....I have priced parts and checked average hours to do this repair....just don't have the luxery with the hours I work to just tow from here to there checking prices and getting quotes.....uggh!

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the most expensive differential I’ve heard of. Call around for some quotes. The cost of towing will be easily saved in the repair bill.

out of curiosity what gear ratio do you run in your bagged truck??...is it a chevy ring and pinion or is it an aftermarket
like auburn,richmond,maxtrac,etc???...have you ever had differential problems with the size wheels and lowering on your truck??
just curious man.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know your right...Im just concerned on these hybrid trucks they have degenerative braking which is controlled br braking and in turn charges the batteries...which has a lot to do with gearing...I am going to the dealership today and see if they will negotiate...I really need the guarantee/warranty/peace of mind and am willing to pay a little extra for it....but not twice the amount the repair should cost....I have priced parts and checked average hours to do this repair....just don't have the luxery with the hours I work to just tow from here to there checking prices and getting quotes.....uggh!
You should be able to call around for quotes.

out of curiosity what gear ratio do you run in your bagged truck??...is it a chevy ring and pinion or is it an aftermarket
like auburn,richmond,maxtrac,etc???...have you ever had differential problems with the size wheels and lowering on your truck??
just curious man.
It’s a narrowed GM rear end with Moser axles. The ring and pinion is stock. No problems.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
just curious man.
I don't think you need to tow it around at all just to get quotes. You know what is wrong now, just call different places, explain what your situation is and have them give you a quote to put a new differential into your vehicle. Make sure you ask what kind of warranty they will put on their work.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to call around for quotes.

It’s a narrowed GM rear end with Moser axles. The ring and pinion is stock. No problems.

give me a best guess or approximation of what this job should cost in your opinion....I guestimated/researched around $12-1500 total including new ring and pinion,carrier,bushings,seal,etc....and based it off of 5-7 total hours of labor...am I far off you think??

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to tow it around at all just to get quotes. You know what is wrong now, just call different places, explain what your situation is and have them give you a quote to put a new differential into your vehicle. Make sure you ask what kind of warranty they will put on their work.

I am calling AMOCO and firestone today plus another guy that was recommended to me ...Im just concerned with the hybrid issues and not sure if I can trust some of these other places to have the experience needed in regards to making sure I don't ruin the hybrid recharging system by gearing it with a higher gear ratio....not sure if these other shops have the means or technology to reprogram shift points and speedometer for higher gear ratios???

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not real familiar with the hybrid drivetrain but if it is some form of awd you will need to change the front gearing as well.
you can get a Eaton Detroit put in there for probably $1200, the ring & pinion add additional cost & labor but probably not more than another $400 since they are doing it all once.
The higher cost from the Dealership is there over priced oem parts and add-on labor, I would call another local dealers service department and ask them what is the book time for the same job

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am calling AMOCO and firestone today plus another guy that was recommended to me ...Im just concerned with the hybrid issues and not sure if I can trust some of these other places to have the experience needed in regards to making sure I don't ruin the hybrid recharging system by gearing it with a higher gear ratio....not sure if these other shops have the means or technology to reprogram shift points and speedometer for higher gear ratios???
Shift points and speedometer resets would be one of the questions I would definitely ask.

As for your regenerative charging, I will admit that I am not an expert by any means on the system used on your vehicle, but in general, I am thinking it shouldn't be an issue. Others with more knowledge may inform me that I am completely wet in the head on this, but here is my reasoning.

The system, I presume, takes the electric motor, or motors, and turns it into a generator when you are braking. The resistance caused by generating electricity slows the vehicle down and this stopping force can be varied automatically by controlling the amount of resistance in the system. All it is seeing the rotational speed of the shaft in the transmission and it is designed to handle the full range of speeds that the vehicle may be stopping from.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with Wade on the concept of regenerative breaking including wet. 2 points.
1. When you call around get their hourly rate. I had to take a car to my dealer and his rate was $120 hr where indie was $60-$90
2. Is changing the gear and everything that changes/costs more worth it along with lower mileage? (I’m guessing here) If you tow heavy a lot I can see it but if it’s light to light maybe not?

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with Wade on the concept of regenerative breaking including wet. 2 points.
1. When you call around get their hourly rate. I had to take a car to my dealer and his rate was $120 hr where indie was $60-$90
2. Is changing the gear and everything that changes/costs more worth it along with lower mileage? (I’m guessing here) If you tow heavy a lot I can see it but if it’s light to light maybe not?

I just don't understand why our dealerships make things so difficult...service and repairs should be treated with respect and understanding..instead they try and leave you with no options and try and suck the every dollar out of your pocket they can...they know whats reasonable and whats not....Im not against them making money and being profitable...just don't wear a ski mask and try to rob us blind....I feel so bummed out with GMC right now...and the individual dealerships....a lot on a my plate and I was looking forward to it being turkey....ugggh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9