HELP-Check Engine Light Flashed 3 Times~~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with 3.73 your mileage will drop quite a bit

Engine
2184 RPM = 80MPH with 3.73 and current tire size
1780 RPM =80MPH with current ratio and tire
1850RPM =80MPH with stock tire and stock ratio
2323 RPM with stock tire size 31.5" and 3.73 ratio

you will lose 2.5mpg

Morning,
I wonder if the transmission would have to be reprogrammed with new shift points...or if it is so minor that it wouldnt even affect the transmission except MPG....You know on our trucks there is no redline on RPM's???....at least on mine there isn't...maybe because theres no torque converter

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good morning,so I started looking...found some for $650+275 shipping...Im going to try and locate some closer to home...im in southern California....just a quick update...I have the chevy dealership 2 miles from the GMC stating 7.5 hours labor total tear down and rebuild...when I told them the other dealership wanted 12 hours the service tech almost fell off his chair....though after talking to the GMC tech in person...he was giving worst case scenarios as they "always do"...he was knowledgeable and seemed honest in regards to his work....I just don't understand why they don't lock down a window of repair costs...I understand its hard to "approximate" without opening up the rear pumpkin......but I really feel that "double" the cost of many quotes to do this work is why - we as GMC/Chevy Owners have really lost faith in our dealerships....I have had past dealership experiences with other brands...literally sipping coffee and enjoying the free breakfasts while my vehicle would be getting fully detailed after services provided....I don't understand why GMC/Chevy is so out of tune with it's customers and dedicated owners...

with that being said...I will look into more options as far as a total replacement...it's just hard with the holidays here and a major storm hitting our area with the only time off from work I have...thanks James for the insight.

I have had good experiences with dealership shops, better than private, in my lifetime. Having said that, they are expensive for a reason, the mechanics are highly trained for the vehicles they sell. As you know many dealerships sell multiple brands, my local go to sells Cadillacs and Chevrolets and GMCs and all three have their own service writers and lounges but only one big shop out back. Well, guess which one I use? Cadillac baby! The waiting room is far nicer, they do a more thorough job with the free wash and detailing and they'll even take you home or pick you up when the car is ready. Same guys out back that I've come to trust for that which I cannot do myself.

Transmissions are configured to shift by MPH not necessarily RPMs though that is taken into account.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had good experiences with dealership shops, better than private, in my lifetime. Having said that, they are expensive for a reason, the mechanics are highly trained for the vehicles they sell. As you know many dealerships sell multiple brands, my local go to sells Cadillacs and Chevrolets and GMCs and all three have their own service writers and lounges but only one big shop out back. Well, guess which one I use? Cadillac baby! The waiting room is far nicer, they do a more thorough job with the free wash and detailing and they'll even take you home or pick you up when the car is ready. Same guys out back that I've come to trust for that which I cannot do myself.

Transmissions are configured to shift by MPH not necessarily RPMs though that is taken into account.

I am going to try and make a decision today....Im trying to mod my truck for reliability and longevity...I just have a thing for this hybrid...im thinking of staying with the original 3.08 OEM specs after researching what I truly want...I'm not looking to build a street racer and race from light to light...so Im thinking aftermarket shops might not be the right choice...with that being said...I still don't feel I should have to pay "double" for the necessary repairs that the chevy dealer down the street is quoting almost half what the GMC dealership is???....I cant get out of my mind a 2 year unlimited warranty on the service work performed....I just need them to be honest and fair in regards to pricing and I would approve the work with a quickness...even tell them to enjoy the holiday and I will pick up the truck on Monday....happy thanksgiving guys...I'll post the outcome...maybe they'll save face and realize a loyal customer if they don't overcharge

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to try and make a decision today....Im trying to mod my truck for reliability and longevity...I just have a thing for this hybrid...im thinking of staying with the original 3.08 OEM specs after researching what I truly want...I'm not looking to build a street racer and race from light to light...so Im thinking aftermarket shops might not be the right choice...with that being said...I still don't feel I should have to pay "double" for the necessary repairs that the chevy dealer down the street is quoting almost half what the GMC dealership is???....I cant get out of my mind a 2 year unlimited warranty on the service work performed....I just need them to be honest and fair in regards to pricing and I would approve the work with a quickness...even tell them to enjoy the holiday and I will pick up the truck on Monday....happy thanksgiving guys...I'll post the outcome...maybe they'll save face and realize a loyal customer if they don't overcharge

Ike, in a sense you have altered your final drive ratio with those taller tires, so if you did happen to procure an axle with 3.42 gears, it would bring performance back closer to original specifications. The tech is cool in those things for sure. Happy Thanksgiving!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ike, in a sense you have altered your final drive ratio with those taller tires, so if you did happen to procure an axle with 3.42 gears, it would bring performance back closer to original specifications. The tech is cool in those things for sure. Happy Thanksgiving!
with the amount of instant torque it has it probably does not matter very much.. even at idle it has 250 lb-ft of torque available at all times...

even when mine was glitched and stayed in AFM from 0mph to 50mph it was barely noticeable.. i only noticed it because the RPM was higher

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the amount of instant torque it has it probably does not matter very much.. even at idle it has 250 lb-ft of torque available at all times...

even when mine was glitched and stayed in AFM from 0mph to 50mph it was barely noticeable.. i only noticed it because the RPM was higher

Brent have a good thanksgiving....I'll update as this goes along...hopefully everything works out....or the tow truck cometh again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne