HELP-Check Engine Light Flashed 3 Times~~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 GMC hybrid-114K...excellent service records...drives like a dream...just purchased 3K miles ago....so I decided to take a 4 hour trip to let my new suspension settle....bout half way through...2 hours or so..I notice my check engine light blink 3 times....whoa!!...panicked and pulled over checked all fluids and let truck "rest" for 15 minutes????

got back on road and truck drove fine for another 3 hours with no activity....can anybody chime in if this is a "one time" thing or if I should be overly concerned and change ALL....PLUGS,WIRES,AND COILS IMMEDIATELY??

Don't have a scanner yet but plan on purchasing a tech 2 soon...just reading up on them.

any input is appreciated!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
2008 GMC hybrid-114K...excellent service records...drives like a dream...just purchased 3K miles ago....so I decided to take a 4 hour trip to let my new suspension settle....bout half way through...2 hours or so..I notice my check engine light blink 3 times....whoa!!...panicked and pulled over checked all fluids and let truck "rest" for 15 minutes????

got back on road and truck drove fine for another 3 hours with no activity....can anybody chime in if this is a "one time" thing or if I should be overly concerned and change ALL....PLUGS,WIRES,AND COILS IMMEDIATELY??

Don't have a scanner yet but plan on purchasing a tech 2 soon...just reading up on them.

Dont really know the hybrid, but was your engine doing any work at the time? On a gas truck a flashing CEL is usually based on misfires.

You can see if there are any codes with the free scanner at the parts store.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont really know the hybrid, but was your engine doing any work at the time? On a gas truck a flashing CEL is usually based on misfires.

You can see if there are any codes with the free scanner at the parts store.

YES-I was at 80MPH on the interstate- so I wasn't using hybrid mode...it was all V8 power....check engine light didn't stay on just blinked 3 times...after I pulled over and checked everything...continued on my way...no loss of power no other symptoms
and it never did it again...just love the truck so much I'm trying to make sure she gets through another 100K

Any and all feedback is appreciated...thanks HIHOE!

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned - a random misfire is most likely. Check your gas cap too. Fluid levels shouldn't cause a CEL.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned - a random misfire is most likely. Check your gas cap too. Fluid levels shouldn't cause a CEL.

Thanks Jeff...will check the gas cap...and hopefully it was a random one time thing...if that's possible!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or possibly a not so great electrical connection. If the parts store scanner doesn’t pull any codes jot down the time of day conditions and what happened so you have a record.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks-will do steven...I'm sure that will make a difference if this error occurs again....

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
YES-I was at 80MPH on the interstate- so I wasn't using hybrid mode...it was all V8 power....check engine light didn't stay on just blinked 3 times...after I pulled over and checked everything...continued on my way...no loss of power no other symptoms
and it never did it again...just love the truck so much I'm trying to make sure she gets through another 100K

Any and all feedback is appreciated...thanks HIHOE!

If you can get it scanned, see if they can show you misfire counts on the cylinders, too. They may or may not be able to. Write down the actual codes, dont just let them tell you "you need a new flamshooter". My first guess is that you'll see p03xx. 300 is random, 301 is cyl1, 302 cyl 2, etc.

That said, plugs, wires, coils, if they've not been done in your recent recollection.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get it scanned, see if they can show you misfire counts on the cylinders, too. They may or may not be able to. Write down the actual codes, dont just let them tell you "you need a new flamshooter". My first guess is that you'll see p03xx. 300 is random, 301 is cyl1, 302 cyl 2, etc.

That said, plugs, wires, coils, if they've not been done in your recent recollection.

hopefully it will show a code at all....if they show anything im going the plugs,wires and coil route first
then drive a few hours and try to have it rescanned.

thanks HIhOE.

YukonXLMan

Reaction score

EXACTLY what happened to mine with I threw a 0305 (cyl 5 misfire) code. only happened once; never again. Have the code read as others suggest and if it doesn't happen again, don't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts