HELP-Check Engine Light Flashed 3 Times~~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 GMC hybrid-114K...excellent service records...drives like a dream...just purchased 3K miles ago....so I decided to take a 4 hour trip to let my new suspension settle....bout half way through...2 hours or so..I notice my check engine light blink 3 times....whoa!!...panicked and pulled over checked all fluids and let truck "rest" for 15 minutes????

got back on road and truck drove fine for another 3 hours with no activity....can anybody chime in if this is a "one time" thing or if I should be overly concerned and change ALL....PLUGS,WIRES,AND COILS IMMEDIATELY??

Don't have a scanner yet but plan on purchasing a tech 2 soon...just reading up on them.

any input is appreciated!

Ike, is this a RWD truck?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes sir...rear wheel 2WD....14 bolt 9.5" pumpkin.

Ok, that's what I thought. Why not get a used one and swap it out? Shop labor for a swap is 4.2 hours. A complete internal overhaul is at least 8 hours shop labor.

The 2009 Escalade Hybrids have 3.42 gears. This same axle and gearing is found behind the RWD Escalades and Denalis and some more obscure models. The others are yours with the 3.08 gear set.

Somewhere out there is a brand new entire unit too...

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so an update..took truck to dealership Saturday...had to use a wheel loader so they wouldn't drag it up the flatbed...back wheels all locked up...they called me yesterday ..Monday...theyre telling me that the rear end differential is completely done...shot out...and in need of total replacement...new ring and pinion....bushings...everything inside the pumpkin....they are quoting me $700-$900 for parts and $1400-$1600 for labor...according to the service writer...it is 12 hour flag time for total tear down and rebuild....I think this is overpriced to say the least.So I asked a few questions before I authorize any work:

1.I want to replace the original 3.08 ring and pinion with a 3.73 ring and pinion- Can this be done with our Hybrids...keeping in mind the degenerative braking system where our batteries charge(reason- my wheel and tire combo is 33.81" tall...a little over 2" taller than stock wheel/tires)???

2.All the research and websites that Ive found say 5-8 hours flag time- from start to finish...total tear down and rebuild
why are they stating that it takes 12 hours labor for total tear down/rebuild???

3.will they calibrate the speedometer and transmission to the new gear ratio using theyre software or "tech2"'s??

4. they offered a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty for the rebuild services....what do you guys think??

5.Is there anything else I should have them do if I move forward with this rebuild while they have my truck service wise??

I know I could get this job done for less $$$....I am going to the dealership to try and negotiate with them today in regards to pricing....the facts are the truck is there and it needs repair....I just don't want to get soaked by the dealership...I am not confident enough in doing this repair myself...though I do know a little about rear end differential its lack of expeience actually putting them in....plus I get the guarantee and peace of mind if anything happens the work is warrantied and guaranteed!

all responses and comments are welcome and really appreciated
with 3.73 your mileage will drop quite a bit

Engine
2184 RPM = 80MPH with 3.73 and current tire size
1780 RPM =80MPH with current ratio and tire
1850RPM =80MPH with stock tire and stock ratio
2323 RPM with stock tire size 31.5" and 3.73 ratio

you will lose 2.5mpg

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand why our dealerships make things so difficult...service and repairs should be treated with respect and understanding..instead they try and leave you with no options and try and suck the every dollar out of your pocket they can...they know whats reasonable and whats not....Im not against them making money and being profitable...just don't wear a ski mask and try to rob us blind....I feel so bummed out with GMC right now...and the individual dealerships....a lot on a my plate and I was looking forward to it being turkey....ugggh!
at lest it was not the transmission good thing you did not keep driving it you would have tore up the transmission and drive shaft with it

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great point James. Most yards have a pile of rear ends and you can check it over, remove the cover, before leaving. Much faster, less expensive and a possible DIY if it’s a straight swap with same gears.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that's what I thought. Why not get a used one and swap it out? Shop labor for a swap is 4.2 hours. A complete internal overhaul is at least 8 hours shop labor.

The 2009 Escalade Hybrids have 3.42 gears. This same axle and gearing is found behind the RWD Escalades and Denalis and some more obscure models. The others are yours with the 3.08 gear set.

Somewhere out there is a brand new entire unit too...

good morning,so I started looking...found some for $650+275 shipping...Im going to try and locate some closer to home...im in southern California....just a quick update...I have the chevy dealership 2 miles from the GMC stating 7.5 hours labor total tear down and rebuild...when I told them the other dealership wanted 12 hours the service tech almost fell off his chair....though after talking to the GMC tech in person...he was giving worst case scenarios as they "always do"...he was knowledgeable and seemed honest in regards to his work....I just don't understand why they don't lock down a window of repair costs...I understand its hard to "approximate" without opening up the rear pumpkin......but I really feel that "double" the cost of many quotes to do this work is why - we as GMC/Chevy Owners have really lost faith in our dealerships....I have had past dealership experiences with other brands...literally sipping coffee and enjoying the free breakfasts while my vehicle would be getting fully detailed after services provided....I don't understand why GMC/Chevy is so out of tune with it's customers and dedicated owners...

with that being said...I will look into more options as far as a total replacement...it's just hard with the holidays here and a major storm hitting our area with the only time off from work I have...thanks James for the insight.

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at lest it was not the transmission good thing you did not keep driving it you would have tore up the transmission and drive shaft with it

for real...I asked a million questions yesterday when I was talking to the technician...such as did he turn the shaft by hand ??...he stated yes and NO noticeable sounds...although he stated he did not put a scanner on the vehicle yet...he said he would....he just wanted it to be mechanically sound from the rear end before he checked for any prior codes or current codes...though there were NO current codes...unsure of prior ones...I think at some point he tried to scare me stating with his worse case scenario that what if the housing was cracked through....I then asked if there were any leaks found and he stated NO...its currently on stocks....but with my wheels...the total height is 33.81....I really appreciate the numbers you gave me in regards to RPM and gas mileage...its making me rethink going with any other gears than the stock 3.08...were those numbers based on the tire/rim size I just listed??

OP
OP
Dropped HYbro

Dropped HYbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yes - I am very thankful...the technician yesterday when I went for a meet and greet to discuss or negotiate repairs stated that the input/output shaft was fine and that hes had a lot of experience with the hybrids...that hes never seen a broken one yet...he also was explaining to me that the transmission on these trucks were designed around heavy duty/bus applications and that from his experience the transmissions are solid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907