Headlight Aiming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a search and haven't found what I'm looking for and that's a DIY method for aiming the new headlight assemblies on an 03 Tahoe.
Back in the day, with sealed beams, I had what I needed to get this done. Now, with these new one piece units and two adjustment screws, it's quite the same.
Can anybody offer there method of choice. I'll hit up YouTube but coming here first is generally my preferred first step.
Thanks.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my 07 Yukon XL Denali, the manual says to adjust the headlight beam's vertical adjustment so that the top of the beam at 25 feet away is the same height as the bulb itself in the headlight assembly. So, I aim for the top of the headlight beam to match the line drawn on my home made measuring tool. I use a section of lightly travelled road that is level to do my adjustments.

Headlight Beam Adjustment.jpg

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those methods are not unlike what we used to do back when. I like the idea of the "measuring board" although I've also tried the level ground against the side of a building for the same sort of result.
I'll to look to see if the 25' measurement is applicable to an 03 Tahoe without the Denali option. IIRC, the Denali trim models have a slightly different adjustment mechanism. Or at least some years appear to be that way.
Maybe my 10,000 page PDF manual has some info. (10,000 pages and NO index page!)

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing of this couldn't have been any better for me...

I just put in new TYC headlamp assemblies. I think I am pretty close to where they need to be, but I'll double check before going for RMV inspection in the next week or so.

P.S.: stock headlights use a 15mm Torx (driver bit or the one that is like a scredriver).
Vertical and horizontal adjustment screws (for 04) are easily reached straight in from the top.
Thanks!

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best thing i ever did after replacing headlights was adjusting them like in post 2, then leaving for work 30 minutes earlier and fine tuning them on the road. But i leave for work at 3 am, so may not work for most people lol.
I just stopped on the highway and popped the hood to tweak the vertical a fuzz and the left side in a touch. But i always put the right side a little further towards the ditch than recommended since i live in cornfield kamikaze deer country.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We live in similar countrysides. We have moose to steer around as well though. And the occasional stray bovine.

My 06 has reasonable headlight aiming so with that I found an appropriate level lot with a wall 25' away and transferred those headlight focal points onto that wall.
Then I parked the 03 with the fresh buckets in the same position and focused the new headlights onto the old targets.
It's worked well enough but as stated further there may be tweaking as required. My morning commute will be in the dark for the next 6 months so plenty of opportunity.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all you need a is a nice long Philips head screw driver, at night (presuming your driveway is level). backup from the garage door the appropriate distance, measure and put blue painters tape on the garage door. adjust lights as needed.
the philips head fits the adjusters, one is up/down and one is in/out
easy peasy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse

Latest posts