torque pro hybrid Battery pids for P0BBD dtc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdstrattan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so pretty much there's no good info out to be found on these trucks. and definitely not in one place.

scanners that go deep enough to show data and reset useful stuff aren't cheap or easy to find. the free auto parts store scan is mostly useless besides just giving you a code.

as for the codes...

P0BBD = "Hybrid Battery Pack Voltage Variation Exceeded" (usually one or more dead cells) P0AC4 is just a generic code for the Hybrid module telling the Engine module to turn on the yellow check engine light

pretty much anyone over 100k will see this at some point. seems shops don't get it, or people don't want to believe it's time for an expensive battery replacement. hopefully this helps.

the general thinking seems to be these trucks are much harder on the battery than the prius, which they are also used in. that or gm programming just doesn't take care of them well. I'll attach a screen cap from a diagnostic file posted on a different site, I'm sorry I forgot his screen name to credit him but I will try to go back and find it. but it basically shows if the cells are more than 1.5v difference between them for a certain amount of time it throws the code.

I've read that any more than 0.2v isn't great. 1v is hurt and by 1.5v or more the pack is trashed and your truck is probably driving like crap with the ac on and it feels like the tranny is bad or something related to it. I could be, but it's probably not. mpg are probably not great either.
so that lead me to make this post to try and get some of the pids needed to cheaply and simply see how your battery is doing easy to find, because shops seem to be all very bad with this stuff.

you need the app torque pro, it's 5$ android only I believe. 20$ obd2 Bluetooth adapter off Amazon. lots are bad ones but 2 seem to always be good. I'll try and link the ones I tried, both work. I used the Dr prius app website list to pick the known good ones. if it reads the hybrid stuff on a prius it will on ours too but it's the app that interprets all the data for you and none of it come pre loaded.

this is what most people buy..

Wireless Bluetooth Diagnostic OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader and Scan Tool for All 1996 & Newer Vehicles ELM327 Compatible OBDII for Android Devices ONLY https://a.co/d/gKiDOaq

but this one worked for me too..

NEXAS Nexlink Car Motorcycles... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BPC179W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

so that brings us to pids. mostly all the apps don't have much defined secondary stuff, so you gotta input it yourself. there's tons of YouTube videos of how to do that using this data. much easier to watch how then me trying to type. just search adding custom Pid to torque pro.

all this I have found in 20 different places around the net, some even here but mostly abandoned boards not used anymore. Facebook really killed message boards. I haven't got to the point I can sort thru a data stream and figure out the pids on my own. I'd love to learn of anyone wants to show how it's done.

for a short quick look, I've found the pids for max voltage cell and min voltage cell. that's pretty much all you'll need, it will show you best and worst pack no matter what order it's in but over all pack voltage is nice to know. current coming and going from the battery. the state of charge. I'll list those first. basically load those up, drive till the state of charge gets high enough to go into auto stop,(they say 70% but I can't get much past 60%) have the ac and stuff on to get around a 10amp draw from the battery and watch the min and max. if there's more than say 1v it's hurt. some wouldn't find 0.5 acceptable, but mine still ran OK around there. by 1.5v it's going to set the code on yours soon enough. mine will show as much as 2v on a hot day. it's bad enough even driving in M4 mode I can tell it's not happy. cool day no ac it still feels fine to me.

this is what you'll put into torque pro under settings, add pid

Max Battery Pack Voltage (Volts)

2240EB

A/10

Min Battery Pack Voltage (Volts)

2240EC

A/10

where the top line is for pid, use the 2240eb number. under equation use the A/10. everything else can stay blank.

do the same for these.

Battery SOC (%)”,”SOC”,”222411″,”(A*(100/255)/1)”,35,90,”SOC

Hybrid Battery Pack Calculated (Volts)”,” BPV”,”2240fe”,”(((A*256)+B)/10)”,0,400,”Volts”

Hybrid Battery Discharge Power Available (kW)”,”DPA”,”2240ee”,”(((A*256)+B)*(1/10)/100)”,-20,50,”kW”

Hybrid Battery Current”,”HBAmps”,”2240d2″,”((A*(100/20)+0)/100)”,-70,70,”Amps”

you only really need the pid number and the equation the rest are just more for the graphing and naming.

so for example this is the format you'll see, I'll use Hybrid Battery Current from above and plug it in like this.

Name.. Hybrid Battery Current.

ShortName... HBAmps

ModeAndPID... 2240d2

Equation.. ((A*(100/20)+0)/100)

Min Value.. - 70

Max Value.. +70

Units.. Amps

Header

start Diagnostic

stop Diagnostic

Scale 1

that should be enough to see what kinda shape your battery is in, or even one your thinking about buying on a dealer lot. it's common for prius guys use the Dr prius app to run battery test before they by one and negotiating price based on battery life left. sadly Dr prius app doesn't work on ours.

here's some other pids I've found for those with more patience and interest.

“1 Hybrid Battery 1 (Volts)”,”BV01″,”2240e4″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 2 (Volts)”,”BV02″,”2240e5″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 3 (Volts)”,”BV03″,”2240e6″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 4 (Volts)”,”BV04″,”22410b”,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 5 (Volts)”,”BV05″,”22410c”,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 6 (Volts)”,”BV06″,”22410d”,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 7 (Volts)”,”BV07″,”2240f0″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 8 (Volts)”,”BV08″,”2240f1″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 9 (Volts)”,”BV09″,”2240f2″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 10 (Volts)”,”BV10″,”2240f3″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″”,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 11 (Volts)”,”BV11″,”2240f4″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 12 (Volts)”,”BV12″,”2240f5″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 13 (Volts)”,”BV13″,”2240f6″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 14 (Volts)”,”BV14″,”2240f7″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 15 (Volts)”,”BV15″,”2240f8″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 16 (Volts)”,”BV16″,”2240f9″,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 17 (Volts)”,”BV17″,”2240fa”,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 18 (Volts)”,”BV18″,”2240fb”,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 19 (Volts)”,”BV19″,”2240fc”,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery 20 (Volts)”,”BV20″,”2240fd”,”A/10″,6,20,”Volts”,”7E7″,””,””,1

Hybrid Battery Cell Temperature Maximum (Degrees F)”,”MAX”,”222416″,”(A*(9/5)-40)”,-20,150,”°F”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery Cell Temperature Minimum (Degrees F)”,”MIN”,”222417″,”(A*(9/5)-40)”,-20,150,”°F”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery Charge Power Available (kW)”,”CPA”,”2240ef”,”(((A*256)+B)*(1/10)/100)”,-20,100,”kW”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery Discharge Power Available (kW)”,”DPA”,”2240ee”,”(((A*256)+B)*(1/10)/100)”,-20,50,”kW”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery Inlet Air Temperature (Degrees F)”,”BIT”,”224107″,”(A*(9/5)-40)”,-20,150,”°F”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery Module 1 Temperature (Degrees F)”,”M1T”,”2240d7″,”(A*(9/5)-40)”,-20,150,”°F”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery Module 2 Temperature (Degrees F)”,”M2T”,”2240d9″,”(A*(9/5)-40)”,-25,150,”°F”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery Module 3 Temperature (Degrees F)”,”M3T”,”2240db”,”(A*(9/5)-40)”,-20,150,”°F”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery Module 4 Temperature (Degrees F)”,”M4T”,”2240dd”,”(A*(9/5)-40)”,-20,150,”°F”,”7E7″,””,””,1

“1 Hybrid Battery Outlet Air Temperature (Degrees F)”,”BOT”,”224109″,”(A*(9/5)-40)”,-20,150,”°F”,”7E7″,””,””,1

ACHSPres

x1

psi

A*2.02

Auto

0 min refresh

Hybrid Battery Pack Fan (RPM)”,”FAN”,”2240e7″,”(A*(25/1)/10)”,0,2000,”RPM”,”7E7″,””,””,1

I don't think I can link to another board but it has probably come up in your search already where you can log you data, post it up and they will graph it out for you. but quick and dirty the min and max is nice.

I'll attach some screen caps of mine, I wish I could imbed them in order, but basically start of auto start, the amp load while cranking in neutral and ending. notice the voltage difference.

just stuff I have searched around for and helped me understand these trucks. my new battery is here, just waiting for time to install it.
Thanks for all the good info & detail.

I have a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid with 140,000 miles that thru a check engine light today and has some hesitation going out of EV and does not always drops to Auto-Stop, Checked codes with basic Harbor Freight OBD2 device and got P0BBD & P0AC4 dtcs.

Fear I am facing battery replacement or repair. Any suggestions on sources for replacements or repair shops? I am located in Tulsa, OK.

I will investigate the app you suggest. Any other suggestions or advice is appreciated.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid with 140,000 miles that thru a check engine light today and has some hesitation going out of EV and does not always drops to Auto-Stop, Checked codes with basic Harbor Freight OBD2 device and got P0BBD & P0AC4 dtcs.

Fear I am facing battery replacement or repair. Any suggestions on sources for replacements or repair shops? I am located in Tulsa, OK.

I will investigate the app you suggest. Any other suggestions or advice is appreciated.

most likely at 140k, that's also the pretty common way it shows up. struggling and bucking during restart.

as far as I know you can get a battery from green bean, last I saw someone post they said 2700$ and they come to you and install it. there's a warranty, but you'd have to look they up. those are most likely used prius packs that have been run thru a referb cycle to get them back up to a good spec. I believe it works well.

you can still buy the oem battery from gm. last I saw about 4k$ with a 1k core is the cheapest that's been talked about. I don't know about install but it is brand new as the company still makes the oem cells and packs for Toyota and gm.

there's an aftermarket called Nexcell. it's a type of lithium battery packs, it's more on the unproven side for longevity and how they handle cold weather. the manufacturer says they do fine of course and do have a 2 year warranty. I went with this option as I was curious and don't mind the risk as I like diy stuff. it's 3500$ I believe last I looked. so far mine have been good, but it's only been a few months so I'm not one to recommend it unless you like that kinda stuff.

if you do get the obd2 reader and do a log. you can check this thread and it might help confirm its the battery, plus if go referb type, it's interesting to see how those batteries test out too.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

p0BBD means one of the cells failed I suggest getting a replacement pack

or the choice of a brand new battery cell pack is 4500$ or so the dealer can order it still even if it is out of stock or discounted this is a lie these batteries are still manufactured.. and will still come in 1,000 dollar core charge applies

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

GMhybrid1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I realize this is an old thread, but with so few discussions on the web about PIDs for our trucks, I wanted to start looking in a relevant discussion first.

I have discovered that my Escalade is not showing DTCs related to the hybrid inverter. I just discovered that the inverter coolant pump stopped working quite a while ago with no error message. I am waiting for the new pump to arrive, and while I wait I would like to see what kinds of temps the inverter has been reaching before resorting to putting a BBQ probe into the moisture valve.

Does anyone happen to know the inverter temp PID or how to find it? I have a Techline Connect/Tech2 if there is a way to use that to identify the code and formula. Thank you!

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so pids are a bit of a hassle to find and comment. I've not seen the inverter coolent pid anywhere in my searching, be nice to have thou.

this is a good thread about figuring it all out. it is very long, and not hybrid based at all but the guys are active and will answer questions.

I've also got a tech 2 and a obd2 splitter, thinking I could monitor one port CAN while using the tech 2 and record the data, scan thru and find it. but I couldn't make it work with the hardware I have, just the Bluetooth dongle. there's a bunch of work being done on the DIY can bus stuff by European guys converting old cars to electric powered using crashed up tesla stuff. they have designed some boards and running different software been able to filter the CAN data and make things work. but it's a bit above my understanding, or atleast the time I have right now to catch up. the learning curve is a bit steep but youtube is probably the best place for it. the rabbit hole is deep thou.

I had just recently wanted to check my torque app pid math was correct for the fan speed, so I used the splitter with the tech 2 commanding the fan on and rpm showing, just as soon as the tq app connected and displayed the rpm, it errored out the tech 2. long enough it see the rpm matched but no long enough that I could have captured any data, I don't think. so that was a shame.

that's crazy that your truck isn't reporting faults for the ecm to turn the check engine light on. I forget what code it is, but there's a code that gets set by any of the other modules that tells the engine ecm to turn the light on. I wonder if that code was set, and if not. I wonder why.

I noticed a while back the heater coolent pump wasn't working on mine because I saw the coolent temp go up when I was stopped at a light in auto stop(heat soak) .. checked it out and after some t/s oddly the relay was backwards in the box. swapped the relay around and it started working, guess one of the other owners messed with it?

the inverter pump I noticed while looking at the heater pump, is a eaiser to hear and runs all the time at key on. I don't think I've pulled up inverter coolent temp thou.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I realize this is an old thread, but with so few discussions on the web about PIDs for our trucks, I wanted to start looking in a relevant discussion first.

I have discovered that my Escalade is not showing DTCs related to the hybrid inverter. I just discovered that the inverter coolant pump stopped working quite a while ago with no error message. I am waiting for the new pump to arrive, and while I wait I would like to see what kinds of temps the inverter has been reaching before resorting to putting a BBQ probe into the moisture valve.

Does anyone happen to know the inverter temp PID or how to find it? I have a Techline Connect/Tech2 if there is a way to use that to identify the code and formula. Thank you!

I may have found something for you.. not the pids, but I messed around and ordered a dongle one of the youtube guys I follow used. cheap 50$ thing and Amazon return if it wasn't any better. it doesn't work with torque pro, has its own app. but the damn thing seems to do everything my tech 2 does. kinda crazy.. full hybrid data, even the suspension stuff that's hard to find.

for the inverter, I believe that's called APM heat plate temperature. apm being the gm name for the inverter. accessory power module or something like that.

it's got full tranny data too, from gear ratio since these are cvt, Temps and even line pressure when running, and aux pump % when in auto stop but no line pressure in auto stop, but my tech 2 doesn't either. oh and tranny % of slip per gear.

all the 2 way stuff, like auto brake bleed and even a setting for using jump assist in these hybrids.

I'll upload a quick screen cap of the apm plate temp data.

OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it doesn't like even a small video clip, but here's a screen cap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231229-184302.png
    Screenshot_20231229-184302.png
    556.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
J

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upload the clip on YouTube or another host and put a link to it in your message.

yeah I was going to make a longer video walking thru all that shows up tomorrow. probably for outside this hybrid section too. I'm pretty impressed so far. it has a button to check for freeze frame data when the dtc is set. I was going to unplug a sensor to set a dtc see if it works.