Grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to switch it on or off when you hear the noise to see if the noise changes/goes away.
No change, it's probably something else.

Second easiest thing is to take the accessory belt off. That would eliminate idler pulleys, alternator, water pump, power steering as possible culprits.

Maybe try moving your phone to different areas and record away. Get some good tape..
i thought changing the idler pulley fixed it. But it’s back

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I’m not sure what else. I was gonna check the flexplate, or I know someone mentioned fuel rails and such etc, I have been trying different fuels. Comparing e85 and 91. Idk if that affects it or makes it worse. I spun the pulleys that spun freely and they didn’t make any noise. But like I said I still changed the idler pulley.

I suppose if it gets worse I’ll take it in. Last time they couldn’t hear it. I even showed them a video of it loud and clear and they still said to see if it gets worse.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if it’s speed dependent…. And seems to only happen around 25 mph and stops as soon as I shift around that speed, I am really afraid it’s transmission related or torque converter related.

But if the issue has persisted this long without affecting driveability in any way really. Than how serious is it.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if I can see the starter touching the flex plate through the inspection port? Something did seem really close. IMG_6806.png
Doesn’t appear to be scratching anything in the photo.

Also hear the intake manifold can rattle?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also hear the intake manifold can rattle?
Your intake manifold is plastic and on top of your motor. I have never heard of one rattling. If it was, you would have a myriad of codes.

The stamped heat shields on the exhaust manifolds can rattle as well.

Anyone know if I can see the starter touching the flex plate through the inspection port?
Nope. Not seeing any signs of wear from the starter in that photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE