Grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also sounds like you want a simple, magical answer from a forum. Pretty hard to pinpoint really. There's been lots of good suggestions from lots of very nice, and experienced members here. Maybe it's time to get your hands dirty. Or take it to someone that's willing to help and not hoping to get you to agree to a new transmission. Removing an engine cover is very simple. Most of the suggestions given here are basic and simple to the members that have given them. Where are you located? It's not uncommon for a forum member to be close enough, and kind enough to be willing to give it a look. Also there are more forums out there. Maybe do a search and post your issues there? You never can tell.
I’m out here in South Dakota haha

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: noise has started to stop, I still Hear it a bit every now and then but it’s going away so idk what it is. Still happens at same speed only. It has gotten a bit quieter and is not as continuous. I guess if it’s stopping… don’t worry about it?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did some tapping around the engine bay, just listening for noises, and I narrowed it down to the idler pulley, it’s got to be the bearing rattling. Now I’m wondering if it’s safe to drive and what are the odds of it seizing up? Seems to be intermittent with the noise only around 25-30 mph. Bad to drive?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive it to the auto parts store and get a new pulley and replace it.
Yeah, hopefully that’s what it is, parts store is closed for the weekend, but I’m gonna make a trip first thing in the morning. Wondering why only around THAT speed? Gonna listen to it again with the scope

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, hopefully that’s what it is, parts store is closed for the weekend, but I’m gonna make a trip first thing in the morning. Wondering why only around THAT speed? Gonna listen to it again with the scope
it's not going seize up it might get noisy as hell and wobbly at the bitter end but shouldn't sieze up, usually they just slowly get more annoying, temperature and/or speed may affect the noise. eventually it will sound like 2 ceramic plates being rubbed together or develop a high pitch squeal.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The parts store may even have the tools to loan or rent to remove and replace pulley. When you take the belt off, you can spin and likely hear the noise or maybe even feel it with your hand.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did some tapping around the engine bay, just listening for noises, and I narrowed it down to the idler pulley, it’s got to be the bearing rattling. Now I’m wondering if it’s safe to drive and what are the odds of it seizing up? Seems to be intermittent with the noise only around 25-30 mph. Bad to drive?
Wanna add that I saw black stuff, like residue from the belt. I just changed the belt so I think it’s from the last one? Either way I’m changing the idler pulley. Fingers crossed it solves this noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98