Rattle grind noise after starting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quiet grinding noise when I start 2014 Tahoe and let it idle?

Been going good so far. Driving good. But the other morning I started her up and it was cold out so maybe that’s why.

I woke up, went to auto start my truck and when I went outside after about 10 minutes and was near the front end I heard this very faint grind or rattle noise that would come and go… it was pretty quiet. I haven’t heard it since. It was very faint and wasn’t dependent on anything I don’t think. Maybe a pulley? I was told to keep an eye on my PS pump and I just replaced my idle pulley this last spring. Any idea what it could be?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This ain’t the same grinding noise I was having with the V8/V4, AFM either. Or is it? Idk. New noise.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try pulling the belt off and then trying it to see if anything changes. That would help eliminate pulleys, etc.

If it doesn't change anything, then maybe a crawl around and under the vehicle may be needed to see if you can pinpoint the noise. Then, we can maybe help dial it in

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try pulling the belt off and then trying it to see if anything changes. That would help eliminate pulleys, etc.

If it doesn't change anything, then maybe a crawl around and under the vehicle may be needed to see if you can pinpoint the noise. Then, we can maybe help dial it in
Ok. Kinda waiting for it to get louder first.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
starter gear maybe? (not retracting fully)

Is this the same noise you had when you replaced the idler pulley?

When I had that problem on my old toyota sequoia, the sound was more of a tinkly/rattle, until the gear fell out and knocked around in the bellhousing..

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What @B-train said. If you wait for it to get louder, you may wind up replacing a 'failed' part, rather than a worn part, and that won't happen in your driveway.

Another possibility is that there is some heat shielding on the engine/exhaust area that has become somewhat loose through rust.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What @B-train said. If you wait for it to get louder, you may wind up replacing a 'failed' part, rather than a worn part, and that won't happen in your driveway.

Another possibility is that there is some heat shielding on the engine/exhaust area that has become somewhat loose through rust.
Possibly, I hope it’s nothing internal like the rollers or the cam… it doesn’t sound like it but then again idk what that sounds like. It’s like a solid dense metal type rattle vs like the thin metal that I’m sure the heat shields are composed of. It kind of sounded like the rattle I was having until I started using the AFM plug in. So maybe the noise is dependent on more things than just afm. Idk. It was very quiet and would come and go for like 2 sec at a time than just stopped of course right when I pull the phone out to record. Haven’t heard it since. Just sounds like your typical high mileage 5.3 right now.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
starter gear maybe? (not retracting fully)

Is this the same noise you had when you replaced the idler pulley?

When I had that problem on my old toyota sequoia, the sound was more of a tinkly/rattle, until the gear fell out and knocked around in the bellhousing..
It kind of sounds like the same noise i was having but much quieter and I only heard it the one time. I can’t speak on that last part I’m not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts