Giving up with this grinding noise in v4….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it in again to the shop that rode with me and heard the noise and they did there little diagnostic or whatever and still can’t figure out what the noise is… the same text I rode with me claims it’s my steering pump, even though he heard the noise, and it only happens during v4 mode.

My steering works just fine. It doesn’t make any noise when I’m turning. So I’m not sure where he got that from. Apparently he thinks the bearing is going out.

That bearing is not what is making noise.
It’s something to do with the lifters and they couldn’t figure it out. I still have a noise and I still don’t 100% know what it is! I’m getting frustrated. This thing has been a money pit

Everyone is all “well has it let you down yet?”

No, not YET.

I have too much money invested to anticipate when it will break down. I think I’m gonna sell it. But it’s like who the hell wants a Tahoe that freaking makes noises? Nobody

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to reply but I will. v4 mode sounds required gm to add an extra muffler/ resignator. if someone cut it off it sounds like a helicopter lol. maybe you just have a exhaust rattle.

as for money pit, how much money have you spent on it?

and if you believe it's the afm issue, delete it like the other 100 threads about afm sounds do.

ctd01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took it in again to the shop that rode with me and heard the noise and they did there little diagnostic or whatever and still can’t figure out what the noise is… the same text I rode with me claims it’s my steering pump, even though he heard the noise, and it only happens during v4 mode.

My steering works just fine. It doesn’t make any noise when I’m turning. So I’m not sure where he got that from. Apparently he thinks the bearing is going out.

That bearing is not what is making noise.
It’s something to do with the lifters and they couldn’t figure it out. I still have a noise and I still don’t 100% know what it is! I’m getting frustrated. This thing has been a money pit

Everyone is all “well has it let you down yet?”

No, not YET.

I have too much money invested to anticipate when it will break down. I think I’m gonna sell it. But it’s like who the hell wants a Tahoe that freaking makes noises? Nobody
Yea best to post a video. Are you sure its not a shield rattling? I has one here last week that had a shield rubbing making a noise. Power steering noise wont matter if its in 8 or 4 mode. Pump still spins the same.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for AFM/DOD delete.

I mean, it seems like that's what you'd want to do if you want your engine to last long anyways.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for AFM/DOD delete.

I mean, it seems like that's what you'd want to do if you want your engine to last long anyways.
Ya I drive it in “M” instead of D and I leave it in 5th so it cuts out 6th gear and disables the AFM, don’t ever use 6th gear in town anyways. I guess if I go on a trip hopefully I have that AFM plug in by then. I can’t afford an actual delete. Might as well take a loan out for that or something if I was gonna do that.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked the exhaust up and down can’t really see anything out of the ordinary. Looks like a healthy exhaust. I have a leak and can’t even find that. Guess I’ll spray the whole bottom with soap till I find it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I drive it in “M” instead of D and I leave it in 5th so it cuts out 6th gear and disables the AFM, don’t ever use 6th gear in town anyways. I guess if I go on a trip hopefully I have that AFM plug in by then. I can’t afford an actual delete. Might as well take a loan out for that or something if I was gonna do that.
My 6-speeds all go into 6th gear by about 40 mph. At 35 mph they stay in 5th. Some are tuned, some not yet tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019