Grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently posted about a noise, I ended up sticking my phone in the engine bay, and I caught the noise. Can hear it much better. It’s like a rattle. I had brakes inspected and they said they looked fine. Any ways, here’s the Rattling noise

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently posted about a noise, I ended up sticking my phone in the engine bay, and I caught the noise. Can hear it much better. It’s like a rattle. I had brakes inspected and they said they looked fine. Any ways, here’s the Rattling noise
Sounds exactly like someone left a 3/8" extension in there somewhere and it's rattling around. Seems RPM dependent so I would wager that it's something loose that's normally rigid, like a coil mounting plate, fuel rail, etc.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like someone left a 3/8" extension in there somewhere and it's rattling around. Seems RPM dependent so I would wager that it's something loose that's normally rigid, like a coil mounting plate, fuel rail, etc.
Any easy way I can inspect? Don’t have jacks or stand unfortunately

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be lots of places.. Take engine cover off and start shining a light in there.. Maybe try a stethoscope to narrow down what area it is in.. Sounds like it's connected or sitting on the engine.. Maybe swerve back and forth to see if it will dislodge. (if it's a loose tool or hardware)

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be lots of places.. Take engine cover off and start shining a light in there.. Maybe try a stethoscope to narrow down what area it is in.. Sounds like it's connected or sitting on the engine.. Maybe swerve back and forth to see if it will dislodge. (if it's a loose tool or hardware)
I have a stethoscope but the noise only happens when going like 30mph and I don’t hear it any other speed or at idle.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stethoscope but the noise only happens when going like 30mph and I don’t hear it any other speed or at idle.

Maybe pull the belts and check all pulleys (although you need to cut AC belt to check ac compressor)
Can take a short drive to see if no more rattle.

Or you might try one of these.. chassis ears..

Once had a starter that was falling apart and it would make a little tinkly sound like that, until the gear completely fell out of the starter and starting banging around the bellhousing!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AC PUMP, take belt off to verify. but I am 99% sure that's what it is, if confirmed leave belt off and get it replaced before it sends shrapnel through the whole system.
you can also look visually and see when the clutch activates and engages the pump the noise happens.
just start it up, turn on the ac and then go watch the ac clutch, it will engage and disengage every so many seconds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas