Giving up with this grinding noise in v4….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hundred bucks says that's your starter failing. One of the failure modes for them is the return spring for the drive gear breaks and lets it contact the flywheel intermittently - especially when either accelerating or decelerating. I would pull that starter out and have a look. Remove negative battery cable. Pull the fender liner on that side, remove the exhaust manifold heat shield, remove the 2 bolts holding the starter on from the bottom, remove the power cables to the starter, and pull it out. It'll take you 20 minutes, including jacking up the front wheel and supporting the frame on a safety stand. If that spring is bad the drive gear will drop down to the end of the shaft when you hold that end down, or at least be very easy to move down the shaft. Had the same sound on my '07 (no AFM) and it was the starter.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hundred bucks says that's your starter failing. One of the failure modes for them is the return spring for the drive gear breaks and lets it contact the flywheel intermittently - especially when either accelerating or decelerating. I would pull that starter out and have a look. Remove negative battery cable. Pull the fender liner on that side, remove the exhaust manifold heat shield, remove the 2 bolts holding the starter on from the bottom, remove the power cables to the starter, and pull it out. It'll take you 20 minutes, including jacking up the front wheel and supporting the frame on a safety stand. If that spring is bad the drive gear will drop down to the end of the shaft when you hold that end down, or at least be very easy to move down the shaft. Had the same sound on my '07 (no AFM) and it was the starter.

YEah, that noise sounds like something is hitting a flexplate sized piece of metal. It has that sound to it.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YEah, that noise sounds like something is hitting a flexplate sized piece of metal. It has that sound to it.
I have examined the flex plate through the inspection. Poor and I did not notice anything out of the ordinary, like scratching, gouging or cracks. Maybe I’ll look again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar