Engine Swap to stroked 6.0 (408) and general vehicle refurbishment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shamelessly stole all kinds of his hard work/research/step by step photos when I did mine. Even had a few questions here and there. Chris @iamdub is a wealth of information and damn good dude.

It's been nearly a year since I did my engine trans so I'm a little foggy on the specifics. The one thing I do remember is to take your intake off and get the top bell housing bolts from the top, after you remove the hood. So much easier. I didn't do that when I pulled the trans but I learned from my mistakes and did it from the top when I put it back together
I'm glad that you said this. Even though I bought the Dirty Dingo lift plate, I was still thinking about trying to get the engine out and in with the intake installed. But after reading this and then looking at some other postings on it that your advice triggered, I am just going to take the intake off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More parts came today.
IMG_4228.jpg

This is an oil pickup. The box was kind of mangled and a little bit open at one end. The pickup looks OK, but I noticed that it does not have any bolts with it. Could these have fallen out of the damaged box? Or does an oil pickup normally not come with bolts?

I also got a Yukon U-Joint.
IMG_4229.jpg
A Dirty Dingo lift plate
IMG_4230.jpg

A pair of new headlight housings.
IMG_4232.jpg

And lastly a pair of poly engine mounts.
IMG_4231.jpg

And here is a question...I've been reading a lot about adding on a Derale transmission cooler with an electric fan. My question is, other than providing minimal cooling of the transmission oil, does the stock transmission cooler in the side of the radiator serve any other function? In other words, if I completely remove the factory transmission cooler hard lines, cap the bungs in the radiator, and run hoses directly from the transmission to and from the Derale, will I be losing any functionality other than the little cooling provided by the stock cooler?

Last edited:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More parts came today.
View attachment 356993

This is an oil pickup. The box was kind of mangled and a little bit open at one end. The pickup looks OK, but I noticed that it does not have any bolts with it. Could these have fallen out of the damaged box? Or does an oil pickup normally not come with bolts?

View attachment 356989
A Dirty Dingo lift plate
View attachment 356990

View attachment 356992

View attachment 356991

And here is a question...I've been reading a lot about adding on a Derale transmission cooler with an electric fan. My question is, other than providing minimal cooling of the transmission oil, does the stock transmission cooler in the side of the radiator serve any other function? In other words, if I completely remove the factory transmission cooler hard lines, cap the bungs in the radiator, and run hoses directly from the transmission to and from the Derale, will I be losing any functionality other than the little cooling provided by the stock cooler?
We both used the hummer H3 mounts. They are a direct bolt on if you get two passenger mounts. They are solid and not fluid filled like the stock ones.

As for the trans cooler, I always use the factory one in line with new, external. It adds cooling so may as well use it. I'm sure you can bypass with no issues, but I prefer to keep it working since it's already there

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More parts came today.
View attachment 356993

View attachment 356989
A Dirty Dingo lift plate
View attachment 356990

View attachment 356992

View attachment 356991

Yes, when I first installed my Derale cooler, I bypassed the oil to water cooler in the radiator. I had a hell of a time keeping temperatures under control until I plugged it back in. Made all the difference in the world… And the upfitters manual says to use them in sequence with each other With the radiator plumbed in before the external transmission cooler, which is how I ended up plumbing mine, and it works beautifully.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, when I first installed my Derale cooler, I bypassed the oil to water cooler in the radiator. I had a hell of a time keeping temperatures under control until I plugged it back in. Made all the difference in the world… And the upfitters manual says to use them in sequence with each other With the radiator plumbed in before the external transmission cooler, which is how I ended up plumbing mine, and it works beautifully.
Wow, that is not at all what I expected, but exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for the response. I will plan to plumb them in as you describe!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is, other than providing minimal cooling of the transmission oil, does the stock transmission cooler in the side of the radiator serve any other function? In other words, if I completely remove the factory transmission cooler hard lines, cap the bungs in the radiator, and run hoses directly from the transmission to and from the Derale, will I be losing any functionality other than the little cooling provided by the stock cooler?
The in-tank cooler also serves to heat up the fluid quicker in cold weather. Imagine if it were -10 out, that fluid would be much thicker and not warm up at all. Not sure what it might do to the transmission. I don't tow over mountains or through deserts so the stock coolers suit me just fine. Derale's are quality products.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Think of the radiator tank like a regulator that cuts off the extreme lows and highs of transmission fluid temps, keeping it in the safe zone. When towing our heavy camper over the blue ridge, that transmission fluid would heat up to 260ºF before I plumbed the radiator back in. But with that radiator sitting at 200ºF +-, it'll take a bunch of heat out of the fluid because it's an oil-to-water cooler before it gets to the Derale. Plumbed in, I never saw anything above 225ºF even pulling that thing all over the Rockies in the summer heat this year. GM says that temps up to 285ºF are allowable for short periods, and 220ºF is fine with them all day long in the 6L80E with the modern Dexron fluid. On the cold side, GM says that they like to see a minimum of 150ºF for "continuous operation", so again the radiator sitting at 200 will warm the fluid up. On cold days, it'll hold between 145-170 depending on how I'm driving, without towing. It's the perfect setup, in my opinion.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that you said this. Even though I bought the Dirty Dingo lift plate, I was still thinking about trying to get the engine out and in with the intake installed. But after reading this and then looking at some other postings on it that your advice triggered, I am just going to take the intake off.

There is ZERO benefit to removing and installing the engine with the intake manifold in place. It's so easy to remove and once it's removed, gives you access to the upper bellhousing bolts. You'll have so much more room to move the long- or shortblock around to get it up and out from under the wiper cowl and not have to worry about busting the manifold. Like I said, I did the whole thing by myself with one hand on the hoist chain and the other rolling the Tahoe forward or backward by pushing on the wheel. Having a massive chunk of hollow plastic in between a car and few hundred pounds of dangling engine on complicates things no matter how many hands are on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons