Engine Swap to stroked 6.0 (408) and general vehicle refurbishment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're pretty well on a roll at this point. I can expand on my methods if you need. I did mine 100% by my damned self because I have no friends :sad72:. My neighbor did help me remove the hood and reinstall it three months later, though.

My journey starts here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1424288
Dub - Thanks for chiming in. I have perused your thread already once, but I think I am going to give it a couple deeper looks over the next few weeks to make sure that I am truly ready, and have taken everythign from it that I can regarding techniques that worked for you in getting the old out and the new in. I may hit you up here or in PM with specific questions at a later date, if you don't mind?

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More parts arrived today. First up was a box from Amazon with new U-Joint straps, and a Poly transmission mount.
IMG_4221.jpgIMG_4223.jpg

Then a little while later I got a box from A1Auto with a Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid Valve in it.
IMG_4224.jpg

I've read a bit about just deleting this system, but it sounds like it might cause me some issues on my annual Texas State inspection, so I guess I'm keeping it.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then this evening, I got a big box from Crutchfield with a whole bunch of fun items.
IMG_4216.jpgIMG_4217.jpgIMG_4218.jpgIMG_4219.jpgIMG_4220.jpg
There are two sets of the tweeters and the 6.5 inch. I also used their harness service, and judging by the monstrosity that they sent me its probably $25 well spent. I used the Idatalink Maestro when I put a head unit in my 2005 GTO a few months ago, and it works great for keeping the factory steering wheel controls, and other factory items that go through or access the head unit.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dub - Thanks for chiming in. I have perused your thread already once, but I think I am going to give it a couple deeper looks over the next few weeks to make sure that I am truly ready, and have taken everythign from it that I can regarding techniques that worked for you in getting the old out and the new in. I may hit you up here or in PM with specific questions at a later date, if you don't mind?

I don't mind at all! That's one of the main reasons I document my stuff.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Then a little while later I got a box from A1Auto with a Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid Valve in it.
View attachment 356907

I've read a bit about just deleting this system, but it sounds like it might cause me some issues on my annual Texas State inspection, so I guess I'm keeping it.

Don't be surprised if you find carbon pellets in the lines when you remove them or if you end up having to replace the EVAP ("charcoal") canister.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shamelessly stole all kinds of his hard work/research/step by step photos when I did mine. Even had a few questions here and there. Chris @iamdub is a wealth of information and damn good dude.

It's been nearly a year since I did my engine trans so I'm a little foggy on the specifics. The one thing I do remember is to take your intake off and get the top bell housing bolts from the top, after you remove the hood. So much easier. I didn't do that when I pulled the trans but I learned from my mistakes and did it from the top when I put it back together

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shamelessly stole all kinds of his hard work/research/step by step photos when I did mine. Even had a few questions here and there. Chris @iamdub is a wealth of information and damn good dude.

Aww, shucks!
Okay, okay. We can have teh big sexxxy time you've been hounding me for. turbohumping2.gif After you're healed, of course. :kiss1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons