Dreaded Lifter Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoLaGirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
119K on a 2013 Tahoe LS. Lifter collapsed and got her towed to a dealer (wasn't super close to home). Dealer estimate for the fixings is $9500. Yes I know, overpriced. Have talked to local mechanics who can do it for less, one who even suggested a whole new engine. Regardless, looking at quotes between $4000 - $8500. (Haven't forked out the next $200 to get her towed over closer to home mechanics yet.)
Do I sink this into a 10 year old truck?? I have shed tears, sought out opinions, gone back and forth over what to do.
KBB is $10k - $13k or abouts, so either way I am taking a loss - whether I fix and keep or trade/ sell or leave as is and try to sell.
Just looking for more opinions on this. Majority of folks tell me to take the loss.
Body is in good shape, AC cold, transmission may be in early stages of slipping, dash is cracked, and all lock actuators are shot. Only owner.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
119K on a 2013 Tahoe LS. Lifter collapsed and got her towed to a dealer (wasn't super close to home). Dealer estimate for the fixings is $9500. Yes I know, overpriced. Have talked to local mechanics who can do it for less, one who even suggested a whole new engine. Regardless, looking at quotes between $4000 - $8500. (Haven't forked out the next $200 to get her towed over closer to home mechanics yet.)
Do I sink this into a 10 year old truck?? I have shed tears, sought out opinions, gone back and forth over what to do.
KBB is $10k - $13k or abouts, so either way I am taking a loss - whether I fix and keep or trade/ sell or leave as is and try to sell.
Just looking for more opinions on this. Majority of folks tell me to take the loss.
Body is in good shape, AC cold, transmission may be in early stages of slipping, dash is cracked, and all lock actuators are shot. Only owner.
I think most of the people here would say it's worth it to fix it, depending on condition and past maintenance. A new Tahoe is $55K+, so there's that.

That said, depending on where you live, the cost should be closer to the $5K range for a full AFM delete or cam swap (new cam, lifters, tune, etc). Depending on how long the engine ran with a bad lifter, the damage could be limited to the lifter and cam, or there could be damage elsewhere in the engine from debris, although that's unlikely in my experience.

At a minimum, the work will consist of pulling one head to make a minimal repair if the cam wasn't damaged (unlikely). It's more likely that both heads will have to come off and the cam will have to come out. At that point, it's decision time. Stay factory, or get rid of the AFM system that likely caused the problem in the first place. You have a range of non-AFM cams to choose from from factory-like spec to more power and torque.

To give the best advice we can, it would be helpful to know some basics of its maintenance history. How frequent were the oil changes? Has the transmission fluid been flushed? Has it been garaged and generally well taken care of? All of these things factor into the fix vs sell decision.

Last edited:

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
If you would replace it with another similar large SUV, live in a relatively salt free area, the vehicle has been reguarly serviced, and everything else is in good condition (cracked dash is an annoyance and lock actuators can be replaced), then I would strongly consider at least paying to have the AFM lifters replaced or at least diagnosed to be the problem before throwing in the towel. I think replacing the lifters and lifter trays plus gaskets should be $3K or less.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it paid off?

Think of it this way: For the cost of replacing the engine could you buy another Tahoe in the same condition with a brand new engine? Probably not.

When my lifters failed it cost me $2k to get my beautiful beast back on the road, if I went to buy a used car for $2000 it would have been a *************, worth it to repair your good truck any day.

OP
OP
S

SoLaGirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Religious oil changes. No garage. No salt. Multiple estimates in the $4000 up range.
All locks have been quoted at least $250 - 400 each.
I am a single teacher with retirement in sight. Yes, I know what current market is on new, but how much do you put in and continue to do so? I suspect transmission issues in future as well.
I go back and forth and weigh my options, just hard with little guidance - which I why I asked here.
I appreciate each reply - gives me more to think about!

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SoLaGirl 119k is only half the average life of one of these vehicles so you have plenty of life left in it.

$4k for an engine now and then $4k for a transmission later that’s only $8k. Is your Tahoe worth $8k to you?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Religious oil changes. No garage. No salt. Multiple estimates in the $4000 up range.
All locks have been quoted at least $250 - 400 each.
I am a single teacher with retirement in sight. Yes, I know what current market is on new, but how much do you put in and continue to do so? I suspect transmission issues in future as well.
I go back and forth and weigh my options, just hard with little guidance - which I why I asked here.
I appreciate each reply - gives me more to think about!

I'm guessing your screen name is referencing where you live and it's southern Los Angeles and not southern Louisiana, huh?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going in a different direction here. I'd get it towed home. Spend some time looking at Toyota/Honda dealers and get some idea what you can do on a trade with it "as is." For a retired teacher you can't beat a Honda Pilot, Toyota is No. 2 in my book. Putting over $10 grand in that machine for engine and impending transmission repair is insanity. Just my opinion, probably pretty unpopular here.

OP
OP
S

SoLaGirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going in a different direction here. I'd get it towed home. Spend some time looking at Toyota/Honda dealers and get some idea what you can do on a trade with it "as is." For a retired teacher you can't beat a Honda Pilot, Toyota is No. 2 in my book. Putting over $10 grand in that machine for engine and impending transmission repair is insanity. Just my opinion, probably pretty unpopular here.
It is a lot. If you are a mechanically inclined person who can do the work yourself or know people who can do it for cheap, then maybe it makes sense, but I can't. I am here for both sides of comments and do value both, though I take some with a grain of salt.
And yes, on the agenda today is the tow home so think it over. Thanks for your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157