Lifter Club

Have you had lifter issues on your '21 Burb

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whelp, confirmed. Failed lifter on the right bank, bent push rod, etc. I'll share more details in the morning. They told me they only replaced the right side, but the service receipt shows parts for 8 lifters. I'm not familiar with engines to know if there are 8 on each side or not. Could that mean the tech replaced both banks of lifters?

That's correct 2 lifters per cylinder.

KitchenMaven

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good that it's a lease maybe. When the lease is up they'll have to deal with it. Should get a lease extension for the shop time, but I wouldn't count on that.
I have a legal lemon law team on it. Not going to keep the vehicle. I'm still driving my 2003 Denali at 250,000 miles and I expected to do the same for this vehicle. If I've had this many problems at under 27,000 miles, I think it's going to be a long ride in the dealership visits. So So sad to see it go, but I need a reliable vehicle.

XLDenaly21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did anyone have luck being reimbursed for their rental expenses? GM has promised to reimburse me for a seven seater rental from ANY rental and even a non GM vehicle. However, when I submitted the reimbursement claim, they denied it because it was not a GM vehicle. They changed the claims rep to a new one who was completely unfamiliar with the claim, when I asked them to read up on the notes, they just kept on saying they will review. Eventually they just closed out the case!! I opened a new case and they flat out denied it! I cannot convey how frustrated I am. It's not the $2,000 as much as the lack of appreciation... I'm (or was...) the kind of customer I would think they would like to retain... I have leased GM vehicles since I Started leasing cars... I had an Acadia, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon and now my second Yukon - all of them top trims (SLT2 and Denali), I feel more betrayed than robbed... I have two more years to go and decide what to do wiht my next lease. Honestly, I hope I find a good replacement because it woudl be painful to give my business again to GM :-(

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I tried to get a rental, I asked customer care for everything in writing but it was never sent. Luckily the dealer was able to replace the right back quickly but wouldn't do the left bank.

XLDenaly21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is what they sent me in response to my asking it in writing. Does not mention anything about make of rental car or limitations, she confirmed all that over the phone that I can get a seven seater of any make (there were no GM seven seaters to be found) and at any rental. I rented a Ford Expedition form Enterprise and never got reimbursed.

We are pleased to be able to offer you a reimbursement for the vehicle you rented during the repairs on your 2021 GMC YUKON XL, VIN .................... at ........ Buick GMC.

In order to get this processed for you as quickly as possible, we need a copy of the repair order from your GMC dealership showing the date the vehicle arrived at the dealership and the date it was repaired.

In addition, we need an itemized copy of the rental agreement showing total charges. GMC does not pay for additional insurance or fuel.

Lastly, we need proof-of-payment for the rental invoice, which can be satisfied by submitting the front and back copy of a cashed check; a credit card receipt that identifies payee, payer, and paid amount; a bank or credit card statement that identifies payee, payer, and paid amount; or, the rental invoice marked paid and showing a zero balance.

For your protection, please blacken out any account numbers or other personal information. As soon as we receive this documentation, we will process your reimbursement, which should arrive in 6 to 8 weeks. If you have additional questions, please respond to this email or contact me at the phone number and extension below.

_______
I assume this is a standard email sent out. So I was at the mercy of GM honoring their word... as I mentioned, it's the violation that bothers me more than money...

drmoose

Reaction score
It must obviously depend on the dealer. My dealer has always just arranged for a rental from Enterprise (if they don't have a loaner, which they haven't since early 2021). The constraint is it does have to be a GM vehicle, and so getting an appropriately-sized vehicle has been a challenge some times, but mostly I managed to get a Tahoe (I have had nearly 60 days of rentals in the last year).

I have to believe that my dealer is getting reimbursed for the rental from GM corporate (since they have told me multiple times it has to be a GM vehicle). I suppose it is possible that small-volume dealers don't have a reimbursement arrangement with GM Corporate, but I doubt it - I think it is more likely the dealer doesn't want to bother.

As far as getting GM to agree to reimburse after denial (which i agree is ridiculous), you could try a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram post (include the contract) on their official account. That might get you somewhere. They fact that you paid ~70k for a vehicle, it was out of service for days because of an engine failure on that "new" vehicle, and they won't pay for a ride is unacceptable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec