Is this the dreaded lifter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyc2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

this is my first post. I have a 2021 Tahoe Premier with 8,600 miles on it. I got it November of 2020

today, suddenly at a traffic light, the auto stop/start came on (normal), but after about 1 or 2 seconds, the engine started, and when it did, it was misfiring, and makin a noise
from the drivers side. when i moved from the light, the engine was misfiring, and gave a thud of a backfire.

I nursed it home (all of 2 miles) and i shut it down. No error codes I waited about 5 minutes, and when i remote started it, there is a load clacking noise, from the drivers side
of the engine. when i lifted the hood, it was really bad.

I called my dealer, and they said to not drive it, and get it to them.
I contacted OnStar and they have a flatbed coming to my house in the AM.

Is this the lifter issue?

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t experienced it myself but that sounds a lot like it.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lifter issue. Keep us posted on what happens.

OP
OP
P

peyc2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok,

so the dealer just called me, and they listened to it. it is the lifter issue.
They have to order parts, once they have them, about a day and a half to install and then test the car.
Of Couse parts are on a delay, they do get them, and can take a week.

The dealer also informed me that GM, will reimburse a rental car, at the rate of $44.00 per day, but the caveat is it must be a GM vehicle.
Now the conundrum is finding a GM car that is rental. The only thing I can find, is a Tahoe, for $77.00 per day. Yikes.

everyone around me do not have any cars, yet alone a GM product.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

I'm, sorry to read about your issue, and I hope that it get fixed soon.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,

so the dealer just called me, and they listened to it. it is the lifter issue.
They have to order parts, once they have them, about a day and a half to install and then test the car.
Of Couse parts are on a delay, they do get them, and can take a week.

The dealer also informed me that GM, will reimburse a rental car, at the rate of $44.00 per day, but the caveat is it must be a GM vehicle.
Now the conundrum is finding a GM car that is rental. The only thing I can find, is a Tahoe, for $77.00 per day. Yikes.

everyone around me do not have any cars, yet alone a GM product.
That’s weird…too bad they couldn’t provide one.

I know at one time Avis had a lot of GM vehicles…not sure if that’s still the case today.

OP
OP
P

peyc2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The rental car issue is a PIA
I found a 2020 Tahoe at the 4th Enterprise I called and of course it’s $70.00 per day but it’s all I could find in a reasonable distance from where I am and need to go

The whole thing took most of the day
The only good things are the towing company was great they billed Onstar no no money out of pocket on that other than a tip. And the dealer service department and the service writer were very honest and easy to deal with so even though this is a major inconvenience it was not a bad experience other than annoyance

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a member of the failed lifter club, the whole process from a customer's perspective is flawed. I am drafting a letter to corporate and will include my log of the conversations and such along the way. While GM customer service may have been polite, the response was inadequate. While the letter will probably go on deaf ears, at least I will feel better!

OP
OP
P

peyc2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As a member of the failed lifter club, the whole process from a customer's perspective is flawed. I am drafting a letter to corporate and will include my log of the conversations and such along the way. While GM customer service may have been polite, the response was inadequate. While the letter will probably go on deaf ears, at least I will feel better!
I went another step
i wen to the NHTSB and filed a safety issue. My complaint is this should be at the least a caution letter to owners about what is happening. Lucky for me I was on a medium highway, and not 700 miles from home on 95 going 65 MPH when it failed.
At the least this could cause an accident, or trigger one for vehicles behind if you stop suddenly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts