Is this the dreaded lifter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went another step
i wen to the NHTSB and filed a safety issue. My complaint is this should be at the least a caution letter to owners about what is happening. Lucky for me I was on a medium highway, and not 700 miles from home on 95 going 65 MPH when it failed.
At the least this could cause an accident, or trigger one for vehicles behind if you stop suddenly.
We were 250 from home but the engine kept running so we didn't stop. We were fortuneate to make it home. I will do the same with the NHTSB

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd run it till it grenades all along the boulevard and get a new engine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the lifter debacle continues......
gm just released a notice that lifters are to be replaced on both banks on current vehicles on the lot and those en-route to the dealer before they are sold/delivered.
as of today dec 2 2021

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unreal. Their Corporate response to me in addressing my lifter failure at 12,995 miles on my 21 Denali is “we’re sorry you were inconvenienced and understand your frustration. Please accept 200,000 My GMC Rewards points to feel better.” My repeated requests for an extended powertrain warranty were denied as was my request to have the remaining lifters in the engine replaced. I’ll get a sweet deal on some OEM GM accessories though, oh boy!!!

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to me on my 6.2L Sierra Denali 3 wks ago at 11.400 miles. Same thing, driving down the road and engine started making noise and warning lights came on. Lucky i was about 1 mile from my dealer so I drove it into their service area. Tech who came to look knew what it was right away when he started it, yep collapsed lifter for sure. In 1 hr they had a scanned code of P0305 and had removed valve cover and found bent push rod/collapsed lifter #5 cyl. He also informed me new rental cars are n/a so they have a 2014 Equinox for me. It was a low miles AWD in very good condition (local trade-in). Anyhow, 1.5 days later I had the truck back. I was shocked they had all parts in stock and tore into right away. Have to give the dealer credit for great customer service.
collapsed.jpg

Last edited:

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the lifter debacle continues......
gm just released a notice that lifters are to be replaced on both banks on current vehicles on the lot and those en-route to the dealer before they are sold/delivered.
as of today dec 2 2021
I just checked with a good friend who is parts mngr for Chevy/GMC dealer and he says they got no such notice as of today! He searched everything the got recently and nothing. They have about 10 V8 trucks on the lot and nothing stopping they from selling them. Someone was even picking up their new Trail Boss when I was there 1 hr ago. I trust he would tell me the truth as he has no loyalty to the dealer. Any chance you can provide a copy?

TVETTE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking of a new Tahoe but decided to keep what I have. My 2015 LTZ has every option possible but now at 110k, so with all this chip shortage, lifter issue I guess I will hang in there a bit longer. Keep us informed on how this ends up for you.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happened to me on my 6.2L Sierra Denali 3 wks ago at 11.400 miles. Same thing, driving down the road and engine started making noise and warning lights came on. Lucky i was about 1 mile from my dealer so I drove it into their service area. Tech who came to look knew what it was right away when he started it, yep collapsed lifter for sure. In 1 hr they had a scanned code of P0305 and had removed valve cover and found bent push rod/collapsed lifter #5 cyl. He also informed me new rental cars are n/a so they have a 2014 Equinox for me. It was a low miles AWD in very good condition (local trade-in). Anyhow, 1.5 days later I had the truck back. I was shocked they had all parts in stock and tore into right away. Have to give the dealer credit for great customer service.
View attachment 357099
looks like they only did one bank, good luck!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked with a good friend who is parts mngr for Chevy/GMC dealer and he says they got no such notice as of today! He searched everything the got recently and nothing. They have about 10 V8 trucks on the lot and nothing stopping they from selling them. Someone was even picking up their new Trail Boss when I was there 1 hr ago. I trust he would tell me the truth as he has no loyalty to the dealer. Any chance you can provide a copy?

silverados are listed as well

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Showed him that link and said he look into it next week. But they only have parts to do one vehicle, GM won't send them more parts than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar