Lifter Club

Have you had lifter issues on your '21 Burb

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CC927

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought our 2021 Tahoe z71 in April. At 8,100 miles had the dreaded lifted issue. They replaced left side only. Just waiting for the other side to fail in the next 5-10k miles now.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought our 2021 Tahoe z71 in April. At 8,100 miles had the dreaded lifted issue. They replaced left side only. Just waiting for the other side to fail in the next 5-10k miles now.
Just curious…what is the build date on yours? Should have the month/year on a label inside the drivers door jam area.

Vonderbach

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine went bust at 11,000miles, March 2021 mfg date. They replaced one bank after my truck sat in the shop for 3 weeks. I won't say much here but let's just say I'm not dropping it. There are massive legal implications here and GM is in for a world of hurt one way or another.

It's all over GM authority for the TSB. Other than GMs supply chain issue it doesn't make sense to do half of them when they claim the lifters are the issue. Guess next time they can do the lifters and the cam...
They are playing the odds. If your vehicle lasted over 8000miles with the bad lifters the chance that the other bank goes bad within the warranty period is diminished and is less costly than replacing the other bank. Which on the surface seems absurd, but given the part shortage I suppose its probably to make sure they don't have vehicles sitting around waiting for parts for months. They are absolutely banking on the fact that you have more problems AFTER the warranty expires. This will be the last GM I buy in my lifetime.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine went bust at 11,000miles, March 2021 mfg date. They replaced one bank after my truck sat in the shop for 3 weeks. I won't say much here but let's just say I'm not dropping it. There are massive legal implications here and GM is in for a world of hurt one way or another.

They are playing the odds. If your vehicle lasted over 8000miles with the bad lifters the chance that the other bank goes bad within the warranty period is diminished and is less costly than replacing the other bank. Which on the surface seems absurd, but given the part shortage I suppose its probably to make sure they don't have vehicles sitting around waiting for parts for months. They are absolutely banking on the fact that you have more problems AFTER the warranty expires. This will be the last GM I buy in my lifetime.
Lovely. Mines also a March build. Up to about 6k miles so not looking forward to that fun if it happens.

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While mine was just under 10K Miles and they only replaced the right bank. I was fortunate they dealer had all the parts to replace.

Since mine is an 11/20 build, it was just a matter of time before it happened

Tayers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I’m a member as well. 7500 miles and they would only replace one bank. No rentals available. After many phone calls to GM corporate over several months (I kept dates, lack of callbacks, etc), they offered an extended warranty. I’m now at 18,500, 6 months later, and in the shop again. This time it’s a “rare” bracket, belt, pulley issue that I don’t exactly understand. Sitting in the shop. Again, no loaners. Great ride, but I’ll be done with this as soon as I can find something else.

509Yukon

Reaction score
My 21 Denali had lifter failure at 12,995 miles and they only replaced the one bank on which I had a failure (one lifter). I’m now in a p*ssing contest to get them to agree to an extended warranty. Was out of service for almost a month due to parts availability but GM Corporate did hold true to their word and completed the “Reunite” program by delivering my Yukon to me via commercial (semi) vehicle transport almost 400 miles away.

I’m now working to get reimbursement for the nearly $2k in rental expense, both the G*DD*MN UHaul I was forced to rent to get home after no rentals were available and the vehicle for almost a month. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they cough up reimbursement for everything as was promised.

Good luck with your fix. I just made a 600+ mile round trip with the family to the (very remote) north shore of Lake Superior. The Yukon didn’t fail me but every downshift and slight engine groan had me white-knuckling the steering wheel thinking it was going to cave again and strand me. It sure looks pretty though with a monster Thule mounted!View attachment 353619
Is that the Motion XT XL or XXL?

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Article on gmauthority this morning reporting gm has instructed to replace both lifter banks on affected ‘21s that are currently in transit to dealers prior to delivery. It’s ridiculous they don’t do this for customers that have already purchased and instead mess around with one bank at a time.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Article on gmauthority this morning reporting gm has instructed to replace both lifter banks on affected ‘21s that are currently in transit to dealers prior to delivery. It’s ridiculous they don’t do this for customers that have already purchased and instead mess around with one bank at a time.
One has to wonder how many '21s are left to be delivered. This will make it possible to clear the last few remaining '21s from the lots. For a discount we can buy a new one that has been guaranteed to have engine work done by the dealership. No thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts