Lifter Club

Have you had lifter issues on your '21 Burb

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crappeye

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long time listener, first time caller. I joined the unfortunates with lifter issues this weekend with a fully loaded '21 Z71 Burb 5.3L with 8500 miles (Freaking love the truck). I knew the issue prior based on forum--once I passed 5K I breathed a sigh of relief and was actually going to sell my other paid off rig. This weekend, typical story of loss of power, dash light up like a Christmas tree, Tick-Tick-Tick. Currently at dealer, they told me 2 lifters, both on the same bank. My question for the group is:

Has anyone been able to get GM to replace both banks? It seems odd that if "the new and improved lifters" fix the issue that they would not replace both banks. I'm currently trying to get them to replace all of them and they seem unmoved. Looking at the TSB the break point is 8K miles for replace 1 vs both banks, what is 500 miles GM?

Second question--of the '21 owners who has had a lifter issue? I want to imagine that it is rare, but seeing this forum and others makes it seem much more widespread (please respond to poll). I'm very curious of the ratio of respondents, I am data driven.

I debate about getting another vehicle--I live due north, winter is almost here and would hate to be stranded with my entire family on board where we vacay on weekends....problem is I love the truck, limited stock of vehicles that do anything close to the burb and supplier issues.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are certainly not the only one with this issue, and I feel your pain and disappointment. Other members of this Forum with similar issues will chime in.

Koepp2637

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issue. Do you know what the build date is for your Z71?

808RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I took mine into the dealer for which I thought it was a lifter issue, the mechanic mentioned something about a GM Bulletin regarding replacing only affected lifters or the whole bank. There was some mileage restrictions. If I remember correctly, if it's under 8K miles they only replace the affected lifters and over 8K they replace the bank. I am not 100% sure and I couldn't find the bulletin right now, but it would be worth it to ask the dealer or see if you can find the bulletin.

OP
OP
C

Crappeye

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I took mine into the dealer for which I thought it was a lifter issue, the mechanic mentioned something about a GM Bulletin regarding replacing only affected lifters or the whole bank. There was some mileage restrictions. If I remember correctly, if it's under 8K miles they only replace the affected lifters and over 8K they replace the bank. I am not 100% sure and I couldn't find the bulletin right now, but it would be worth it to ask the dealer or see if you can find the bulletin.
It's all over GM authority for the TSB. Other than GMs supply chain issue it doesn't make sense to do half of them when they claim the lifters are the issue. Guess next time they can do the lifters and the cam...

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 21 Denali had lifter failure at 12,995 miles and they only replaced the one bank on which I had a failure (one lifter). I’m now in a p*ssing contest to get them to agree to an extended warranty. Was out of service for almost a month due to parts availability but GM Corporate did hold true to their word and completed the “Reunite” program by delivering my Yukon to me via commercial (semi) vehicle transport almost 400 miles away.

I’m now working to get reimbursement for the nearly $2k in rental expense, both the G*DD*MN UHaul I was forced to rent to get home after no rentals were available and the vehicle for almost a month. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they cough up reimbursement for everything as was promised.

Good luck with your fix. I just made a 600+ mile round trip with the family to the (very remote) north shore of Lake Superior. The Yukon didn’t fail me but every downshift and slight engine groan had me white-knuckling the steering wheel thinking it was going to cave again and strand me. It sure looks pretty though with a monster Thule mounted!B768C1F3-F6A1-455D-8C08-CB382F87EA3F.jpeg

Last edited:

Franco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 21 Denali had lifter failure at 12,995 miles and they only replaced the one bank on which I had a failure (one lifter). I’m now in a p*ssing contest to get them to agree to an extended warranty. Was out of service for almost a month due to parts availability but GM Corporate did hold true to their word and completed the “Reunite” program by delivering my Yukon to me via commercial (semi) vehicle transport almost 400 miles away.

I’m now working to get reimbursement for the nearly $2k in rental expense, both the G*DD*MN UHaul I was forced to rent to get home after no rentals were available and the vehicle for almost a month. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they cough up reimbursement for everything as was promised.

Good luck with your fix. I just made a 600+ mile round trip with the family to the (very remote) north shore of Lake Superior. The Yukon didn’t fail me but every downshift and slight engine groan had me white-knuckling the steering wheel thinking it was going to cave again and strand me. It sure looks pretty though with a monster Thule mounted!View attachment 353619

Franco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, and yes I'm a member of the lifter club and have similar story to share. I was two weeks into a cross country bicycle ride from San Francisco to New York. I was part of a group of cyclists 10 firefighters and veterans riding for the 20th anniversary of 9/11. My Tahoe was one of two support vehicles. One was towing our support trailer and my Tahoe was being used for chase and carried emergency equipment. In Jackson, WY my Tahoe broke down. This just happened to be our first rest day so we had a little time to deal with it and find a Suburban to rent. The dealership Teton Motors could not offer any help as to getting a replacement vehicle. At that time they said they had 4 others waiting in line for lifters. ETA for parts was 4 weeks. This was on August 12th. About 3 weeks later I was told they had the parts and would be soon working it. They had offered to ship it back home in California but since it was going to be done before I return I decided to pick it up on Sept. 15th on the way home. I put well over a 1000 miles since and everything seems fine.

Our rental came close to $4,000.00 and will be contacting GM to be reimbursed as well a warranty extension. I'm hoping they come through.

PS: I'm now beginning to wonder if I have a lemon...Last week my sunroof exploded. I was driving nowhere near an overpass or anything that could have dropped on it so I know it wasn't hit. I posted a picture of it on the Exterior thread which shows the glass forced upward and out not in.
It's been in the dealership 5 days now and still no ETA as to when I will be getting it back.

Attachments

• IMG_3243.jpeg
    IMG_3243.jpeg
    624.4 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartman