coil over conversion installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
04blackout

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These pics show the shock tower and how it is still in great shape after 1900 miles with no reinforcement. Also shows how much threads I have run the adjuster nuts up, which was basically as much as I could possibly turn. Idk if its actually maxed out, but my measly 240lb ass couldn't get another 1/4 turn

Attachments

• 20140511_101633.jpg
    20140511_101633.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20140511_101640.jpg
    20140511_101640.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20140511_101647.jpg
    20140511_101647.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 24
  • 20140511_102606.jpg
    20140511_102606.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20140511_112813.jpg
    20140511_112813.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
04blackout

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This pic shows how the front now sits lower than the rear... this was taken at menards on a completely level parking lot, and it is as high in the front as I could possibly go

The problem with this, is it preloads the coil so much that now its really bouncy up front. It would be perfect though, if I had smaller tires and really wanted to be slammed down... still not sure if I want to be lifted or not, but I do like the look of the tire tucked up in there. Problem with that is that in the rear the frame really needs to be notched bc it bottoms out like all the damn time

Attachments

• 20140511_160847.jpg
    20140511_160847.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 35

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with this, is it preloads the coil so much that now its really bouncy up front. It would be perfect though, if I had smaller tires and really wanted to be slammed down... still not sure if I want to be lifted or not, but I do like the look of the tire tucked up in there. Problem with that is that in the rear the frame really needs to be notched bc it bottoms out like all the damn time

Exactly what i found out this weekend when messing with mine. Was going to do the same thing, change to stud top, but time didnt allow. Only talking about it w/ someone and exactly what you said is what we came up with. Its going to preload it too much and be real stiff. Play with the shock settings and see how that improves the ride.

100 % agree, the rear needs c-notched, mine sure does need it.

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bouncy is not the same as too much preload. Bouncy means you need a stiffer spring (with less preload) and more dampening (higher shock setting). You also need to be careful of coil bind with a lot of preload.

You guys really need to be careful about where the shock is in its travel. It should sit, at ride height, no more than 10% above or below the mid point of travel. Running the spring all the way down or all the way up is not the answer, a stiffer or lighter spring is.

Of course the stud top will lower it more, wasnt that the point of wanting to do the stud top? Its about 1.5" automatically. If the height you end up with it is too low with the shock at the right ride height, you need longer shocks.

Last edited:

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
liking this, looks good man, that bushing doesnt look to be smashed out either as of yet but hopefully it stays like that.

Couldnt you go with a longer shock now which would change lift/lower and perload?

Also wouldnt change shock settings now help with the bouncy because its a different perload the setting ill work and feel different?
Billy

OP
OP
04blackout

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bouncy is not the same as too much preload. Bouncy means you need a stiffer spring (with less preload) and more dampening (higher shock setting). You also need to be careful of coil bind with a lot of preload.

You guys really need to be careful about where the shock is in its travel. It should sit, at ride height, no more than 10% above or below the mid point of travel. Running the spring all the way down or all the way up is not the answer, a stiffer or lighter spring is.

Of course the stud top will lower it more, wasnt that the point of wanting to do the stud top? Its about 1.5" automatically. If the height you end up with it is too low with the shock at the right ride height, you need longer shocks.

i understand fully what you're saying here, and i will be going back to the pro comp mount probably next wknd, but i wanted to test this out as an alternative for those that wanna be really low, or use a different length shock/coil. with the pro comp adapter, i was pretty much right in the middle of the adjustment threads, and the shock was close to the middle of its travel... obviously, this is where it needs to be for my application, and i proved this today by installing the bushing upper mount. great thing is, it takes about an hour and i can go back to the pro comp and have everything kosher once again

the main focus for this was "will it work?" and the answer (as of right now) is yes... basically my fender height was around 33 1/4 before, so at the same adjustment, i would be sitting somewhere in the ballpark of 31 3/4 on 305/35/24 tires, so thats pretty awesome for guys looking to get real low on coilovers :happy107:

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A stiffer or lighter spring? Wouldnt a lighter spring make it too soft?
Also, since he is at the midpoint of shock travel and its bouncy, couldnt he change the shock settings to correct it, since if i understand right, it now has more preload on the spring, but the shock is where it should be.

And yep stud mount was our main topic to get lower. I am still going to try it out. I think it will get me the height i want and be in the correct spot on the shock. right now its a tad lower than half.

i understand fully what you're saying here, and i will be going back to the pro comp mount probably next wknd, but i wanted to test this out as an alternative for those that wanna be really low, or use a different length shock/coil. with the pro comp adapter, i was pretty much right in the middle of the adjustment threads, and the shock was close to the middle of its travel... obviously, this is where it needs to be for my application, and i proved this today by installing the bushing upper mount. great thing is, it takes about an hour and i can go back to the pro comp and have everything kosher once again

Why are you going back to the pro-comp? b/c of the bouncy ride?

Wish i had a nice jack that would lift my tahoe & id try it out on my own time.

All this lowering stuff is confusing, im thinking of just lifting my Tahoe now. (but guess its the same principals just higher numbers)

Last edited:

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A stiffer or lighter spring? Wouldnt a lighter spring make it too soft?
Also, since he is at the midpoint of shock travel and its bouncy, couldnt he change the shock settings to correct it, since if i understand right, it now has more preload on the spring, but the shock is where it should be.

And yep stud mount was our main topic to get lower. I am still going to try it out. I think it will get me the height i want and be in the correct spot on the shock. right now its a tad lower than half.

Why are you going back to the pro-comp? b/c of the bouncy ride?

Wish i had a nice jack that would lift my tahoe & id try it out on my own time.

All this lowering stuff is confusing, im thinking of just lifting my Tahoe now. (but guess its the same principals just higher numbers)

A stiffer spring will increase the frequency of oscillations and lessen their amplitude, so it wont feel as bouncy and wont bottom out as easily. To combat the higher frequency you need more dampening from the shock to smooth it out quicker.

In general, if it feels like a go cart, you want a lighter spring. If it feels like a 1982 Cadillac with original shocks, you need stiffer springs :lol:

Im not sure what your math background is, but this is exactly a spring-dampener system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping).

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't cranking up the coil over change the rate of the spring or I guess it's force pushing up idk if that makes sense....so best way is to have slight preload and obviously try to keep shock around center of travel, so bc it's a small shock we don't have a lot of adjustment?? Idk if any of these makes sense....lol

Atomic do you know of any spring with more rate of 1300lbs?