Simple Conversion from 4wd to 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psimm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I'm an idiot and I'm ready for the flack. My 05 Yukon XL 4wd has some type of issue with the 4wd system to the point where it doesn't work. Don't know what it is, but it doesn't give me a "Service 4wd" message, so I'm clueless. It's fine, I don't care because it never leaves the pavement. It's got nearly 300k on it. Have been having issues with the front tires being destroyed in turns, and after replacing nearly every single component in the front suspension, the only thing I can think of is that the front differential must have something wrong with it, causing some kind of resistance to the tires making turns. So I removed the half shafts. Easy job, except I didn't know the wheel bearings depend on the half shafts to stay in place. Go ahead, poke fun. I didn't know. So the drivers side bearing disintegrated upon moving the vehicle. Needless to say it's parked for now. The question is, can I simply replace the 4wd hubs with 2wd hubs and call it a day? Or does the conversion involve more than just that? I appreciate any advice.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I'm an idiot and I'm ready for the flack. My 05 Yukon XL 4wd has some type of issue with the 4wd system to the point where it doesn't work. Don't know what it is, but it doesn't give me a "Service 4wd" message, so I'm clueless. It's fine, I don't care because it never leaves the pavement. It's got nearly 300k on it. Have been having issues with the front tires being destroyed in turns, and after replacing nearly every single component in the front suspension, the only thing I can think of is that the front differential must have something wrong with it, causing some kind of resistance to the tires making turns. So I removed the half shafts. Easy job, except I didn't know the wheel bearings depend on the half shafts to stay in place. Go ahead, poke fun. I didn't know. So the drivers side bearing disintegrated upon moving the vehicle. Needless to say it's parked for now. The question is, can I simply replace the 4wd hubs with 2wd hubs and call it a day? Or does the conversion involve more than just that? I appreciate any advice.
Get some kryptonite wheel bearings they are pressed style bearings so you can run them on 2wd or 4wd without needing the half shafts to hold it together
Don’t feel bad I did the same thing back in the day when I first started working on trucks
I’ve also seen people cut the knuckles off the cv axles and just leave it bolted in the bearing so it don’t come apart but isn’t connected to the front differential l.
I’d suggest pulling the front driveshaft also if you haven’t already

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's been one of the top "urban myth" arguments on here about the front wheel bearings. Some insist they will never come apart and some do. You can remove the outer stub shafts from the half shafts and mount them back into the bearings for insurance.

I will be doing this soon well. Remove the half shafts, reinstall the stub shafts. Removing front diff and driveshaft.

@Sparksalot @gooffeyguy @Charlie207 @Fless @OR VietVet

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

psimm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. At this point, I'll probably just get 2wd hubs since I already broke one. Is that all that is necessary to do a poor-man's 2wd conversion? I'll look into the Kryptonite ones, though I'm trending toward Moog hubs since I've been using Moog on every vehicle I've ever owned and they seem to be great parts. Trying to keep the half shafts intact; one day I'll have the front diff rebuilt and sort the 4wd issues, but right now I'm just trying to get this thing to stop destroying the front tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz