coil over conversion installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys, heres the scoop on how i ditched my torsion bars and installed qa1 coilovers up front...

first off... i've never been good at posting new threads about how i did suff, or making how to threads, so please take it easy on me. i didnt really take any pics other than what i sent to Mike (tahoewhat) to make sure i was doing shit right

NEXT...
a HUGE thank you to Richard (Atomic) for making these brackets, and bringing this conversion to our community. also a huge thank you to Mike (Tahoewhat) not only for being the first one to take the plunge and make this happen, but also for giving out his cell # and answering all kinds of ridiculous questions via text

THREADS I USED IN MY RESEARCH
any interest in 4wd front coilover conversion
coil over conversion installed
2000 silverado project charlie murphy
UCA and camber issues

MY SHOPPING LIST
Atomic conversion brackets (i only used lowers)
qa1 ds301 coilover shocks
Hyperco 7" 1200lb 2.5" ID coils ($160 ebay, free shipping)
spanner wrench and thrust bearings
upgraded steel shock bearings (2 of these)
top spacers
bottom spacers
bumpstops
pro comp shock mount conversion
belltech total alignment kit

i also picked up a set of qa1 rs702 adjustable rear shocks and 2 of the upper loop conversion kit to complete the rear shock swap

-----------------------------------------------------

i took my time and did this over the course of 2 days, but it could easily have been a 1 day project, as long as you know what ur doing and have it all planned out pretty good. for me, i had just installed my djm 3/5 a little over a year ago, so i knew all the ins and outs of tearing this beast down, so it was pretty simple. a 12lb sledge was my best friend for popping the lower ball joints loose and for breaking the rusty keys off the torsion bars

if you have read any of the above threads, they have pretty good pics of how to install all of the components, so i wont go into any of that unless someone has a specific question

THE MAIN THING I DID DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHERS, was i did not use any upper reinforcement, i bolted my coilover shock straight to the factory upper shock perch, using the pro comp adapter mentioned above

another important point is that if you use the factory LCA, you will need the belltech camber kit i listed up top. i ran my cams all the way out just to be able to drive it, and i still need more adjustment

MY REVIEW
so far, i have about 150 miles on my setup, and i am still adjusting it a little bit every day. at this point, i am pretty sure i like the front on 14/18 and the rear on 15/18, but i am still going to get new rear springs to replace my 5305 so that could change
of course i had to trim the universal bumpstop up front and spend a fair amount of time getting the ride height just right, but everything is so close to perfectly level that you could never tell just by looking at it. the responsiveness over bumps is stellar, and while it definitely still rides like a lowered truck, it is NIGHT AND DAY from what it was with the torsion bars!
after alot of reasearch, and finding out that ridetech uses the factory upper shock perch for their airbag shocks, i decided to take a chance and find out if it is a suitable coilover mount... so far, it is holding up just fine, and i have race car syndrome while taking the on/off ramps so its not like i just baby this thing along. it definitely gets a good workout

all in all, im very happy with the conversion, and i would definitely suggest it to anyone looking to go lower (or higher) than stock, to consider this as an alternative (though more expensive) to LCA's or psindles in the front. the fact that you can adjust the firmness by just hopping out and turning a knob is awesome, but they ride and handle way better than the stupid torsion bars... best of all, i kept my bars, keys, and crossmember, so IF i ever sell it, i can easily swap back to stock and sell these to someone

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great work bud, glad you got it done and like it! Your write up is on spot to! Keep us posted on how the upper bracket looks after some more DD. I do have one question what is your fender to ground measurements?? How much adjustment did you end up with. Thanks for the info
Billy

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Was wondering when you were going to make a thread. -- Good job on it, not my fortee either, but sometimes simple and clean is the best way.

I love this statement "race car syndrome while taking the on/off ramps so its not like i just baby this thing along." Awesome. lol.

When you say you like the front on 14/18 etc, do you mean one side on 14 and other on 18 or do you mean 14 setting and 18 settings.

Im still moving mine all over while i wait for alignment. but think im on 16 front and 14 rear

Either way, great thread and looking forward to your reviews and how the upper holds up.

OP
OP
04blackout

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say you like the front on 14/18 etc, do you mean one side on 14 and other on 18 or do you mean 14 setting and 18 settings.

i mean setting 14 out of the 18 positions. i turned it up to 6 in front today, and im pretty happy with it. the rear still sucks though. its alot better than it was with crappy shocks, but it is still rough back there. i did the whole getting rid of slop thing over the weekend, and it didnt do jack. only thing left is to get tony's new 6" springs and if that doesnt fix it, the rear adjustable arms are the absolute last piece of the puzzle. the panhard bar had some definite play in it but now has nothing. i thought it might be the sway bar, so i disconnected it, and it still sounds like its bottoming out on every little bump, but its not bc i have the free travel mod done... it just plain sucks

OP
OP
04blackout

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have one question what is your fender to ground measurements?? How much adjustment did you end up with

Fender to ground is 32 3/4" on drivers and 33" passenger now but im not done adjusting bc I still have to install my camber kit. Here's a pic of how much adjustment I have left in it. When I finished the install it was like 32" on the pass side, and remember, my tires are pretty big. Plenty of room to go down, but I need some smaller rubber first, bc at not quite full lock, these tires get in a bind and literally stop the truck if I dont give it some gas... but they've been that way ever since I first dropped it

Attachments

• 20140324_190016.jpg
    20140324_190016.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 98

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
This is an AWESOME thread. Even though you and 'Tahoewhat' did basically the same mod it's really helpful to read through your thread too. I love your collection of links at the top of your post. I was wondering about how many threads were used/unused on the shock body too, and your picture here helped me get a better idea. Mad props, yo! ;)

As an aside, yesterday (3/24/2014) I called ridetech to chat with them about the lack of reinforcement of the upper shock mount when using their airbag kit. The tech I talked to said that normally the upper shock tower on the different vehicles they've done tends to be more than strong enough, and that usually it's the lower control arm that tends to need reinforcement. I don't believe that either of our front shock mount points (top or bottom) need reinforcement.

OP
OP
04blackout

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Andrew. Glad you like it. I intentionally titled this thread the same as Mike's that way anytime someone searches for one they will always find both threads

I got a plan im considering before I get my final adjustments made... def gonna get the new 6" rear springs, most likely gonna get the full adjustable rear arms at the same time. Thinking about going the full 6" in the rear, bringing the front down to match it and picking up some 285/35/24 tires and going really low. Gotta see if the new springs fix my rear woes first though

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A note about the threads left on the bottom of the shock. When I installed mine I was very careful to make sure that at ride height the shock sat right in the middle of its travel range. I made a little mark on the shaft with a sharpie before I put things together. The reason for this is you dont want the shock hanging out around the bottom of its range since you risk bottoming out. Same with the top except you risk over extension. I have also seen 40% down from the top so you have 60% travel for compression.

My point is, simply adjusting it to where it sits right might have other consequences, especially on a really short shock.

Bump stop adjustment is also critical here.

OP
OP
04blackout

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point is, simply adjusting it to where it sits right might have other consequences, especially on a really short shock.

That's why im still watching that charlie murphy thread. I would love for him to come up with something to use the stud top mount to get the extra 1.5" of travel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove