Chicago / Illinois emission test w / Range device

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

belair62

Reaction score
I read a few long posts regarding the Range module and emission tests but it seemed most were in PA or NY. Does anyone in Illinois or Chicago have any info on whether pulling the Range prior to test will cause a fail ?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a few long posts regarding the Range module and emission tests but it seemed most were in PA or NY. Does anyone in Illinois or Chicago have any info on whether pulling the Range prior to test will cause a fail ?
pretty easy to tell by removing it then checking for the "readiness" with a scanner.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but whenever I take my yukon to the dealership and they plug in for diagnostics and vehicle data, they never tell me anything is different. But, not to say that can't be the case. If you are worried, just unplug it and drive it for a few days and let it adjust to you. But, a scanner would be best.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is that when I’m due again next month, I’m just gonna pull it a week before my appointment. Last year I failed then went back a week later with minimal driving and my systems were ready enough to be tested.

And just like @Doubeleive said a scanner will help you too

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Range device keeps the emission monitors from setting so for emission testing you’ll want to unplug it a week before you get tested. Careful with that though, in my experience the AFM system doesn’t work well being disabled and then re-enabled

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think having afm turned off in the tune would be the best. lt1swap.com doesit pretty cheap 50$ I believe. they don't do a tune, just switch off the afm.

or maybe find someone local with hptuners, buy them 2 credit to unlock and flash it disabled real quick

OP
OP
belair62

belair62

Reaction score
I think I am going to send mine out to LT1 when I get back to town. As long as that process allows all monitors to set thats probably the best bet. I have an old Actron that I will plug in and see what I get too. Is sending out the ECU as simple as it sounds ? Does anything get screwed up when you re-install ? Keys, fobs etc ? Thanks all.

OP
OP
belair62

belair62

Reaction score
The Range device keeps the emission monitors from setting so for emission testing you’ll want to unplug it a week before you get tested. Careful with that though, in my experience the AFM system doesn’t work well being disabled and then re-enabled
Dustin what issues did you see re-activating AFM ? I feel like i'm walking on eggshells with this AFM stuff

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During the week when you disconnect the Range module to prepare for your emissions test, keep the fuel tank as close to half a tank as possible (between 3/4 & 1/4 is ok, between 3/8 & 5/8 is better).
The Charcoal Canister EVAP stuff is most likely to show ready that way.

As for avoiding V4 mode, if you're not going to go to the trouble to at least disable it in the tune - not as good as deleting the V4 mode physically, but disabling it still helps - then learn to use the shifter and your right foot in such a way as to avoid V4 mode as much as possible.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to send mine out to LT1 when I get back to town. As long as that process allows all monitors to set thats probably the best bet. I have an old Actron that I will plug in and see what I get too. Is sending out the ECU as simple as it sounds ? Does anything get screwed up when you re-install ? Keys, fobs etc ? Thanks all.

+1 for https://lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm. They turn off AFM in the tune as if it's not even a factory option. Nothing else is affected, no readiness monitors kept unready, no dongle staying in the ALDL port, etc. They're in south Missouri, so shipping should only be a couple days.

AFAIK, no relearning of anything (keys, CKP, etc.) are necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf