Chicago / Illinois emission test w / Range device

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have my AFM/DOD turned off with a Diablosport Intune device that flashes the ECM and doesn't need to be kept plugged in. I pass Missouri emissions with no problems every 2 years. No need to unplug anything a week beforehand.

Another thought on this is get a OBD splitter cable and keep the Range dongle plugged in tucked up under the dash while leaving a OBD port available under the dash. Like this one from BTDieselworks

IMG_8984_720x.jpg

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dustin what issues did you see re-activating AFM ? I feel like i'm walking on eggshells with this AFM stuff
@belair62 When I had to remove my Range AFM disabler to pass smog the motor developed some really strange lifter tapping that would come and go. After that I tuned AFM out for good and sold the Range AFM device.

About a month after the lifter noise started i had a lifter failure and I attribute it to have AFM disabled for so long and then re-enabling it for smog. Went with a full AFM delete after that.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was always worried something like that could happen! In my case I disabled it (programmed) before scheduled oil change.. so I got dirty oil in my VLOM! Hopefully that won't cause issues being disabled.. Afraid they want to look for checksums.. no way I'm ever enabling AFM.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a month after the lifter noise started i had a lifter failure, and I attribute it to have AFM disabled for so long and then re-enabling it for smog.
Went with a full AFM delete after that.
Why don't you attribute it to the fact that the V4 mode lifters (their hardware, as designed) are a liability that GM passed on to us?

That said, you deleted the V4 mode stuff. Congrats.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was always worried something like that could happen! In my case I disabled it (programmed) before scheduled oil change.. so I got dirty oil in my VLOM!
Hopefully that won't cause issues being disabled. Afraid they want to look for checksums ... no way I'm ever enabling AFM.
Probably STILL a good idea to delete / replace the V4 mode hardware with V8 mode stuff.
A proper tune corrects the checksums.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably STILL a good idea to delete / replace the V4 mode hardware with V8 mode stuff.
A proper tune corrects the checksums.
Definitely planning to delete it.. but probably not for a year or so..
Who can do proper tunes?

Seem to read about people reverting to stock tunes, can it pass with VLOM disconnected running stock tune?

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To simply disable / turn off V4 mode, https://lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm is a cost effective solution.
(Disable & delete are two different things damnit.)
I personally recommend pcmperformance.com for mail order ecm / tcm tuning; his reputation after 18 years is solid.
Still recommend physically deleting V4 mode hardware / installing V8 mode stuff.

However, you may get more bang for your buck finding a local tuner to personally make more specific tuning adjustments to your ecm / tcm on your vehicle in your driving environments.
Would not be surprised if there's a tuner within a hundred miles of you that you could meet.
(Filling out your vague location in your profile, & saying something about your vehicle in your signature, helps.)

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you attribute it to the fact that the V4 mode lifters (their hardware, as designed) are a liability that GM passed on to us?

That said, you deleted the V4 mode stuff. Congrats.
You're splitting hairs, nobody would disagree with your statement. My statement simply outlines conditions that I believe to put further strain on an already fragile system (AFM).

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was always worried something like that could happen! In my case I disabled it (programmed) before scheduled oil change.. so I got dirty oil in my VLOM! Hopefully that won't cause issues being disabled.. Afraid they want to look for checksums.. no way I'm ever enabling AFM.
@MikesZ71 Personally I would run it as long as you are having no problems, unless your goal is to delete it before you have a lifter failure. Otherwise just educate yourself and prepare for the day that id does happen. When I had a lifter failure I scrambled a bit because I wasn't certain how to go about getting my Tahoe back on the road. I ended up doing the AFM delete ($1400ish with tools) myself in my driveway in the middle of July, that was last year and it still runs perfect.
Definitely planning to delete it.. but probably not for a year or so..
Who can do proper tunes?

Seem to read about people reverting to stock tunes, can it pass with VLOM disconnected running stock tune?
@mikez71 Once you have AFM tuned out you are already set to do the mechanical AFM delete, the VLOM plug just hangs there after you rebuild the motor with non AFM parts. @BlackBearPerf is a good tuning service if you don't want to DIY a tune.

OP
OP
belair62

belair62

Reaction score
Full delete with labor has to be pretty expensive . So much stuff to take off these things to get down to the cam. I would probably rather have a shop do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons