Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joseph’s new truck came with some significant sheet metal cancer so I’ve been on the look out for some better sheet metal for it. I found a truck on Facebook Marketplace that was the same color and had better sheet metal so we set out yesterday to go collect it since the price was right. The post showed a truck that was on its wheels and at ground level.7477377C-FDF5-4F94-B4A2-7C4DBA28188A.jpeg
When we got there, we discovered we were going to a “auto recycling” business and the truck had been relocated to on top of an NBS GMC Sierra. Nothing like parkour auto salvaging.
32E2BB14-963C-4333-9617-03795EC5EEFB.jpeg

We were able to grab the two front fenders and the bed of the truck and head out.

Today we took on the task of swapping out the beds. Joseph took on the task of disconnecting the old bed from the truck.
C568BE39-3BF7-4526-93DD-24EFABE8ACFF.jpeg

Once we got the old beds off, and we had to put out an all call. Molly, Joseph, Javier and myself were able to make quick work of moving the bed off the trailer and on to the truck.
E02006BE-632F-4047-80AD-A079BE6CCFC7.jpeg

Here is the bed on the truck after Joseph got it all bolted down. We still need to swap out the better fuel door from the old bed. 657FF36D-328D-4880-AA81-276F0DA61D37.jpeg

The plan is to get the two front fenders swapped out this week.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joseph’s new truck came with some significant sheet metal cancer so I’ve been on the look out for some better sheet metal for it. I found a truck on Facebook Marketplace that was the same color and had better sheet metal so we set out yesterday to go collect it since the price was right. The post showed a truck that was on its wheels and at ground level.View attachment 386662
When we got there, we discovered we were going to a “auto recycling” business and the truck had been relocated to on top of an NBS GMC Sierra. Nothing like parkour auto salvaging.
View attachment 386663

We were able to grab the two front fenders and the bed of the truck and head out.

Today we took on the task of swapping out the beds. Joseph took on the task of disconnecting the old bed from the truck.
View attachment 386664

Once we got the old beds off, and we had to put out an all call. Molly, Joseph, Javier and myself were able to make quick work of moving the bed off the trailer and on to the truck.
View attachment 386665

Here is the bed on the truck after Joseph got it all bolted down. We still need to swap out the better fuel door from the old bed. View attachment 386667

The plan is to get the two front fenders swapped out this week.
WOW! Nice work!

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got the hardest part out of the way 1st. Nice work. Keeping the old bed? If not you should def take the fender flares.
The old bed is too far gone to think about keeping it. Fender flares are used up. Previous owner used a variety of sheet metal screws and bailing wire over time to keep it attached to the bed so they have a bunch of holes in them.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The old bed is too far gone to think about keeping it. Fender flares are used up. Previous owner used a variety of sheet metal screws and bailing wire over time to keep it attached to the bed so they have a bunch of holes in them.
Gotcha. Here in the northeast we use duct tape to hold stuff together, I guess in the midwest you guys use bailing wire and sheetmetal screws.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A two weeks ago, I get a call from Javier saying that he had a steering issue and he found this when he looked……7BD3415E-5BB2-4C39-AB6A-8AD39A5752A5.jpeg

Obviously a tie rod is not supposed to look like that. Fortunately it came loose when he was coming to a stop in town and not on the highway. He got it towed home and when we looked at it, it appears that the adjustment sleeve was so rusty that there wasn’t much holding it and it just pulled apart.

I helped Javier find what he needed on RockAuto and he bought a new tie rod/drag link assembly. He installed it on Sunday and I did a quick eye-ball alignment so he could at least get it back to the alignment shop 6 blocks away. Have to say, I think I got it fairly close just sighting down each side of the truck. The before measurements are my eye-ball results. DAB9D7AE-20B5-49FF-B1E9-59F067A8DC37.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
A two weeks ago, I get a call from Javier saying that he had a steering issue and he found this when he looked……View attachment 387835

Obviously a tie rod is not supposed to look like that. Fortunately it came loose when he was coming to a stop in town and not on the highway. He got it towed home and when we looked at it, it appears that the adjustment sleeve was so rusty that there wasn’t much holding it and it just pulled apart.

I helped Javier find what he needed on RockAuto and he bought a new tie rod/drag link assembly. He installed it on Sunday and I did a quick eye-ball alignment so he could at least get it back to the alignment shop 6 blocks away. Have to say, I think I got it fairly close just sighting down each side of the truck. The before measurements are my eye-ball results. View attachment 387836
He's super lucky!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts