Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a similar story with my dad. He never wanted to teach me anything, but he sure would brag about his accomplishments. To everyone all the time. Told me when I was growing up I wouldn’t ever amount to anything, that I didn’t have any ambition, pretty much made me feel unwanted and worthless along with my 2 brothers. Alcoholism ran on both sides of my family the generation before them. I remember my moms dad was a terrible alcoholic but he was fun. My dads dad drove in front of a train when he was young, drunk, and died when my dad was in his teens which might partly explain why he was the way he was. But he always told me it was the weed I smoked that that made me even more worthless. It turned out I was an alcoholic as were 4 of my brothers and sisters. So combined with how I felt about myself I set off on a course of self destruction my entire life until I was in my 40’s, and my dad would say he told me so. *******. But one day I quit everything, quit making excuses, and decided to stand up for myself. I also decided I didn’t care what he thought. Best decision in my life. And my dad finally told me he loved me and was proud. I had quite a few years with him after that, and although he was never the best he did change a lot for the better. Too bad it pretty much took all his other kids to disown him before he did ,but at least he saw the light for awhile. So yes, it’s awesome when I see a dad doing things to lift their kids up instead of beating them down. And even though I never has kids of my own, I did help raise a couple of girls of my ex’s, the oldest who just moved out of my house a couple months ago with a nursing degree and an almost new Cruze I bought for her. So proud of her, and I tell her. Sorry for another long story but I think this stuff is important to hear.
Absolutely important to read. Thanks for sharing. Your generation improved over the previous, even if it took time. As they say, better late than never.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@wjburken your boys are wealthy in ways beyond what they know! All the knowledge they are gaining from you is awesome and work ethic is awesome! I wish my dad gave me that growing up! Unfortunately the only thing I learned from my dad was trying to live beyond my means and keeping up with the joneses.... Thankfully I didn’t keep that trait around for long. Lol.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score