Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today we decided to go ahead and swap out the bed on Joseph’s truck, even though the replacement bed hasn’t had the wheel arches replaced or been painted. It came down to a safety thing due to the amount of of rust on it making the tailgate in secure. This also had the added benefit of getting the truck bed out of the garage and freeing up some space in there. Joseph and Javier both helped with the project. Getting the old bed off was a little bit of a challenge due to rusty bolts so that resulted in cutting the side skirts off between the wheel well and the front to get to the 2nd row of bolts. The third row of bolts ended up just pulling out of the rusty cross brace of the bed. Getting the new bed lifted into place was a little bit of a challenge for the three of us but the boys powered through and we got it done. I was very impressed with Javier’s knowledge of how to do things after a month of working at the local body shop. Joseph had come a long ways as well. Once we got the bed in place. I had to go visit my dad who’s in the hospital and the boys got right to it with buttoning everything up, getting the tailgate hardware installed, fuel neck secured, taillights put in and the wire harness re-ran and secured. I checked things out when I got home from visiting my dad in the hospital and they got it right. I’m an very proud of my sons and what they have learned and how they are learning their way around vehicles and tools.

Before (Tailgate had been removed)
526EC3A0-C5DD-4EDD-A843-44F745E64C9A.jpeg

Old bed discarded to the side. It was pretty porous from all the rust.
B4146E92-C838-4EF5-B9DE-6CB2BC47E805.jpeg

Frame - we took the needle scaler to the frame and sprayed it with some black enamel rust-oleum. Not frame-off restoration quality, but should help a little.
4C964131-9934-4817-B3B1-DD894A702DA5.jpeg

The pile of rust we swept up.
497EA592-A09C-41B7-A6B0-1350C08D8EDB.jpeg

The truck with the new bed. The toolbox got installed while I was visiting my dad.
1F309F4E-1E27-4F4D-B905-DF47EF2A05A6.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Today we decided to go ahead and swap out the bed on Joseph’s truck, even though the replacement bed hasn’t had the wheel arches replaced or been painted. It came down to a safety thing due to the amount of of rust on it making the tailgate in secure. This also had the added benefit of getting the truck bed out of the garage and freeing up some space in there. Joseph and Javier both helped with the project. Getting the old bed off was a little bit of a challenge due to rusty bolts so that resulted in cutting the side skirts off between the wheel well and the front to get to the 2nd row of bolts. The third row of bolts ended up just pulling out of the rusty cross brace of the bed. Getting the new bed lifted into place was a little bit of a challenge for the three of us but the boys powered through and we got it done. I was very impressed with Javier’s knowledge of how to do things after a month of working at the local body shop. Joseph had come a long ways as well. Once we got the bed in place. I had to go visit my dad who’s in the hospital and the boys got right to it with buttoning everything up, getting the tailgate hardware installed, fuel neck secured, taillights put in and the wire harness re-ran and secured. I checked things out when I got home from visiting my dad in the hospital and they got it right. I’m an very proud of my sons and what they have learned and how they are learning their way around vehicles and tools.

View attachment 305749

View attachment 305751

Frame - we took the needle scaler to the frame and sprayed it with some black enamel rust-oleum. Not frame-off restoration quality, but should help a little.
View attachment 305753

View attachment 305754

The truck with the new bed. The toolbox got installed while I was visiting my dad.
View attachment 305752
Maybe spray bomb the bed?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 305749

View attachment 305751

View attachment 305753

View attachment 305754

View attachment 305752

Just the same as with @Monz11 and others, I'm proud to share this online community and this country with you awesome people.

What's Molly been up to?

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened to Joe's foot?
He got his mom’s feet. He needs to have a bunion removed and his big toe bone cut , straightened back out and screwed back together. Julie had this done on both her feet about 16 years ago. They were waiting for Joseph’s growth plates to close up, which they did early due to chemo he had 9 years ago.