Building the SS(V) TrailHoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Back on the road again. Got the seal of approval from the passengers. I’ll take some more pictures when the lighting is better.

Initial impression; while the handling and ride is impacted, it’s not as bad as many lifted vehicles I’ve driven. I’ll need to play around with tire pressures and decide what to do about coilovers. The factory style Monroe struts are riding OK, but they’ll never handle these tires on a washboard trail.

5492C797-F204-4212-9EFA-F2519A113530.jpeg

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on the road again. Got the seal of approval from the passengers. I’ll take some more pictures when the lighting is better.

Initial impression; while the handling and ride is impacted, it’s not as bad as many lifted vehicles I’ve driven. I’ll need to play around with tire pressures and decide what to do about coilovers. The factory style Monroe struts are riding OK, but they’ll never handle these tires on a washboard trail.

View attachment 269368

Dang looks good and super tall with that front bumper cut! Lots of front approach angle :happy107:

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Still not very good lighting conditions, but at least it has the hub covers back on. These are a little weathered so I ordered replacements today. GM wants stupid price for a bit of plastic adornment, so I went against my usual habit and bought imitations from eBay.

3761AA5B-ED66-4011-8DB3-2B4700BE803A.jpeg

I will say IMO 6” of lift or more is not a great look. Too much wheel well above the tire for my taste. I may end up dropping an inch or two from here. Or maybe not, as I DO like the clearance.

@bigfootchiro I'm in SWFL. Nice looking rig in your sig. I'm envious of that 14 bolt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
She went on a diet and became a two-seater today. In preparation for building a deck with storage.

Although I may prioritize rock rails/ steps because climbing in and out is a pain. Literally.

D08C4346-9A26-4370-B3C4-7107623A3206.jpeg

As you can see red Texas dust is still showing up whenever something comes apart.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a lowered guy......but I like where this going. I have a '19 Rubicon for my off road pleasures....but I agree, driving a lifted Rubicon on the highway for long distance blows donkey ball sack.

I would love to build an SSV trail rig........but my PPV keeps sucking the money from me; I wanna go fast (Ricky Bobby style). Just built the 5.3 and now I'm building a 6.0(L96).

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still not very good lighting conditions, but at least it has the hub covers back on. These are a little weathered so I ordered replacements today. GM wants stupid price for a bit of plastic adornment, so I went against my usual habit and bought imitations from eBay.

View attachment 269460

I will say IMO 6” of lift or more is not a great look. Too much wheel well above the tire for my taste. I may end up dropping an inch or two from here. Or maybe not, as I DO like the clearance.

@bigfootchiro I'm in SWFL. Nice looking rig in your sig. I'm envious of that 14 bolt.
Which caps are you after, the standard ones, or the PPV version? I know the PPV caps are$120 each. Between the twins I have three sets of wheels and 2.5 sets of caps.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
@Sparksalot mine came with the satin silver standard, just like most low spec trucks of that period. I think the PPV was chrome? I found lots of aftermarket chrome -not the look I want- and plenty of GM OEM satin still available from around $70 to twice that. Crazy money for a few ounces of painted plastic.

I finally found a set of four in satin for $50 on EBay. Fingers crossed they show up as described and not chrome!

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 269460

Thank you. It's what happens when you decide to grenade your stock 10 bolt rear with all the torque of your big block

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts